Second Skin Audio

Need sub help

Aaron Danielson

I have been out of the audio game for a few years and just rocking the old system that I had. I just bought a new truck a 2018 Silverado Z71 extended cab and I am looking at the subwoofer options for it. I am looking for a sealed enclosure for it as I mostly listen to rock and metal and want the wants a crisp Snappy Bass but also want loud I know it's hard to get both. I know subthump makes an enclosure whatbut their airspace is low and mounting depth is only 5.5 in. Does anybody know of a better enclosure on the market? I don't really have time to build an enclosure as I am working 7 days a week right now.

I have been looking at DC level 2 12 inch subs along with Sundown sa 12 inch subs. Any recommendation on which works best in a sealed enclosure? I am looking to buy Subs next week but I need to know the enclosure specs before I buy. I will go down to 10 inch subs if I can get hard hitting enough bass out of them. I have a Pioneer d9601 amp to power them.

Any help you can offer on both recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Go on line and look at the specs of the sub for sealed enclosures after you figure out what size you can run in that tight of a space.

What have others done in a 2017 that you can do in yours. Youtube is a good tool for that. Google too,

Havent seen much for the k2xx platform when it comes to subs that fit. I refuse to use a premade box, also no shallow mounts for me. So a small seat lift and 2 big 8s ported is my game plan.

Probably be fine with the sundown SD3 10s and the sub thump box though. Doubt it has enough airspace for 2 12s.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Honestly there is not going to be any good solutions out there. Not sure what the seat height is on the newer Chevy's but you are probably going to be limited to 10's at best or maybe shallow subs. I would not put SA's in a sealed enclosure.  No experience really with the Level 2's.

Have you tried going to a local shop and seeing what they can build for you? 

Might help if you posted how much space you have under the seats. Can also try Chevy truck forum but I have noticed a lot of those sites are limited when it comes to audio knowledge. Most are loaded with Kicker and Pioneer installs.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:00 PM, YukonXL04 said:

Havent seen much for the k2xx platform when it comes to subs that fit. I refuse to use a premade box, also no shallow mounts for me. So a small seat lift and 2 big 8s ported is my game plan.

Probably be fine with the sundown SD3 10s and the sub thump box though. Doubt it has enough airspace for 2 12s.

Yeah there is a huge lack of information on the k2xx platform. All the local shops around here are telling me two to three months before they can even get to my vehicle because of the holidays

On 11/19/2018 at 5:17 PM, ckeeler11 said:

Honestly there is not going to be any good solutions out there. Not sure what the seat height is on the newer Chevy's but you are probably going to be limited to 10's at best or maybe shallow subs. I would not put SA's in a sealed enclosure.  No experience really with the Level 2's.

Have you tried going to a local shop and seeing what they can build for you? 

Might help if you posted how much space you have under the seats. Can also try Chevy truck forum but I have noticed a lot of those sites are limited when it comes to audio knowledge. Most are loaded with Kicker and Pioneer installs.

All the local shops are telling me to come back in 2 to 3 months so that they can build me a box because it will be after the holidays. I haven't had the chance to measure under the seat as I just got the truck a couple weeks ago and I'm working 7 Days right now. If I wait that long I will build a box with a fiberglass bottom to form to the hump in the floor and give me more air space but the downside is that would leave me forward facing and even though I hardly ever have anybody riding in the back it would suck when they do. I'm just stuck in a toss-up of what to do.

I was looking at the SD 3 Sundown Subs I looking at a 10in but I don't know how they compare to the DC Audio Level 2. I've been out of the audio game for a long time and just want to find something that hits deep and hard but is clean. Honestly some of my favorite Subs I have ever owned where my JL 12 W6's. They always were super clean and felt like they would punch you in the back on a good drum solo. But unfortunately being in a truck now I can't fit them LOL.

Archived