Second Skin Audio

Sundown nsv2 18 enclosure recommendation seems off...

DiBo

Building an enclosure for 2x sundown nsv2's and the woofer displacement and ported volume seem wrong to me. I believe it was .17 displacement ( for an 18?) And 3ft² sealed and 4ft³ ported. If these specs are indeed correct then I don't have an issue but before I build this box is there anybody that can verify that this 18 will work in an 8ft³ ported enclosure? This sub also has a high Qes and low fs which makes it a great 4th order woofer. Anyone have any idea of what the sealed side would look like? Suggested parameters are 3 foot sealed and 4 foot so do I just make a 6-foot sealed section if I decide to do a 4th order?

Overtime Ive seen faulty driver displacements at least from sundown and RF they were later fixed, as for 4 net for a single 18" Zv3 18s worked in that same space, best is to model the driver to make your mind about what you are being given. Sometimes there's a catch running a sub specified for low operating net airspace.

By model you mean plugging in box and woofer specs to see response curve rt? That's a skill I have yet to learn. Definitely on my "must learn" list. If I post enclosure specs here can you model it for me? I'll be learning this very soon. 

48x20hx30d

Port 17.5x7.5x30

1.5" port thickness .75 baffle thickness. 

Triple baffle

So let's try their ported recommendation (4 net) and a 6 net alternative ( yellow plot ) picked 3K per driver for power:

nsv2.jpg

You can see that 4 net projected performance will be near flat, the 6 net peaks more and you are getting  more output for your power, the SPL guy will pick 6 net of course.

Now the excursion plot, they say it's above 2 inches peak to peak assuming it's linear excursion Xmax would be say 2.2 inches p-p/2= 1.1 in or like 28mm:

CD.jpg

Again assuming they are giving linear excursion, there would be no problems even if the box was 8 net per driver.

Finally here's vent airspeed, just me picking a port area to match 23-24 m/s peak airspeed:

VV.jpg 

Results are 60 square inches per driver for 4 net per driver and 70 square inches per driver for the 6 net.

So if  the question is if you are limited to 4 net with those drivers then the answer seems no even if you are over powering some. Will work on 4 net? Yes in a flat like alignment losing about 3dB of tuning bass to the 6 net,

So I can go basically build this 4-6ft³ with 60-70sq in of port area. 4 nets a flatter response and 6 gives me about a 3db bass boost. 6ft³ net doesn't seem too peaky at all. I wonder why Sundown recommends 4ft³ when 5-6ft³ seems the better recommendation. I appreciate the lesson sir. 

Archived