Second Skin Audio

Any suggested changes?

Joel114

I am going to be installing this Sundown E-10 V3 with this Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp in the custom ported box in the picture tuned to ~33hz with 1.2 ft^3 internal volume (not including sub, port, ect) in the trunk of my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. The amp will be fed with 4 awg thhn or eb flex with this 150 amp fuse leading to the amp and then 10 awg stranded thhn to the sub. Is there anything I am missing or should change? Also what would people recommend that the LPF hertz be set to? 150hz?

Sub Box V3.png

Sub Box V3 Back.png

Sundown dB.PNG

What are specs on the box? Port area and length?

Low pass will depend on the front stage. I fyou have basic speakers with no sounddeadening you will probably be around 100 if you have decent speakers and deadening will be lower. 

5 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

What are specs on the box? Port area and length?

Low pass will depend on the front stage. I fyou have basic speakers with no sounddeadening you will probably be around 100 if you have decent speakers and deadening will be lower

External Height: 12"

External Width: 21"

External Depth: 16"

Internal Volume (excluding sub, port, ect.): 1.22ft^3

Port area: 15.75in^2 (1.5" x 10.5")

Port Center Length: 28"

The actual tune would be closer to 33hz

Inside a car the response will be peakier than what WinISD shows, something  closer to the plot  below, part of the reason is that you picked a larger than recommended net volume:

e10.jpg

Other than that it looks fine as long as you use your subsonic filter and don't push too much power. 

12 hours ago, Joe X said:

Inside a car the response will be peakier than what WinISD shows, something  closer to the plot  below, part of the reason is that you picked a larger than recommended net volume:

e10.jpg

Other than that it looks fine as long as you use your subsonic filter and don't push too much power. 

What about this one I made? Would it work better?

Box Specs:

External Height: 12"

External Width: 20"

External Depth: 16"

Frequency: 32.2 Hz

Internal Volume (excluding sub, port, ect.): 1.02ft^3

Port area: 15.75in^2 (1.5" x 10.5")

Port Center Length: 37.5"

Sub Box V4-min.png

Sub Box V4 Back+Top-min.png

Lots of turns in the port is not recommended, I guess it's no big deal anyways but just saying, if you want to have less turns use just the necessary port area as determined by the manufacturer, tune a little higher (1 Hz difference will not be audible) and maybe do the box a little wider.

5 hours ago, Joe X said:

Lots of turns in the port is not recommended, I guess it's no big deal anyways but just saying, if you want to have less turns use just the necessary port area as determined by the manufacturer, tune a little higher (1 Hz difference will not be audible) and maybe do the box a little wider.

Would it just be better to take the port area down to 13in^2 (1.25 x 10.5) instead of the recommended 16in^2?

Here's a suggestion if you want to keep 1 net, it has 15 square inches of port area and a 33Hz tuning, differences should not be audible from your original spec,  the second turn is a 90 deg turn not 180 deg so it may be more efficient.

If you don't mind going above 1 net maybe your first box would be best.

LIST.jpg

FIG2.jpg

Archived