Second Skin Audio

Pioneer TSW3003D4 box

I have a brand new pair of these from a few years back that i shelved and never used. I decided to pull them out and give them a shot before I go drop money on something else. I've been out of the scene for 20 years and from all my current research everybody is pushing ported enclosures. I've been playing around with the Torres calculator and have come up with a 38x13x20 box with 2-4x10.5" Aeroports. On the calculator I'm coming up with 33.79hz and right at Pioneers max recommended box volume. I'm going to be powering these with a Skar RP800.1D @ 1ohm in the back of a 1990 hatchback Mustang GT. I listen to a variety of music and i'm not looking to compete. I would rather it sound loud and punchy than be an SPL champ. Am I thinking in the right direction and if not where did I go wrong? Car will be a fair weather ride so I don't want to go buy a bunch of new stuff if i don't have to.

12 hours ago, williamhall32000 said:

Thanks for the reply. So this should be enough port area? Being in a hatchback the cabin gain should be massive. Thinking of firing drivers up with ports to the rear.

If these subs are 600 W RMS then port area should not be OK but then it says 600W "nominal" whatever that means AND they suggest 3" aeros for their 1.5 net boxes so that leaves you thinking. 

If those subs really take 600 W RMS then about 20-22 square inches of port area  per driver should be used on a 2 cubic feet per driver box, if run at full power.

Subs and port up can work and also subs up port back as long as there's enough clearance for the port(s).

Archived