Second Skin Audio

s15l7 tuning

ehall8702

so im about to build a slot port for my buddy who has a l7 15. there is no reference to what the box should be tuned to. fs of the sub is like 26 ( off memory not looking at specs right now). there is a port size listed for each recommended box size.  I have put in both the port sizes of the 6ft3 spl box and the 4.5 street pounder box and both are low like 26-28hz. never built a box for any of these square subs, but even regular 15s don't get recommended tuning that low. I know ima get bashed for this, but since I wasn't at my design computer( has winisd,bass box pro, Torrez,and ajvent) I just used the bs RE calculator to get a general idea of what im gonna do. is the re calculator that far off? even so what would yall recommend tuning this port to? going to use the 4.5ft3 street pounder size since 6ft3 is just huge. for 4.5ft3 kicker recommens a port that's 3"x16.25"x14.75 long. he has room for the 6 cubes box if anyone thinks the output would be significantly better than the 4.5 cubes tho, for 6ft3 kicker recommends a port sized 3.5"x16.25"x13.75" long. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. For power he has my old Rockville db16 ( 2k@2ohms) that's dialed back. the l7 is in one of those prefab slot ports right now that maybe 1.5ft3 and a port that's maybe an inch wide max. sounds like shit, but that's what hes got till I build him something that lets the sub shine. my buddy is a little ignorant to stereo equipment and im trying to show him that prefab boxes and power acoustic amps aren't worth a crap. took me almost 45 minutes to get him to understand his "2500 watt" pa razr was only 631 watts rms lol, and then explaining why u just cant cut a hole in a sealed box and make it ported.  so I really need to make this l7 shine cause im trying to prove a point!  

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Actually just built an enclosure using that exact same specification for an old school Solo Baric L7 15. It was for a friend of a friend. It was hooked up yesterday & got word that the guy was really happy with it. He was using the "compact" specification prior to this & it was literally just an enclosure swap. Not sure about the 26Hz-28Hz but if i recall correctly, when i checked i got a fair amount higher for the tuning. Either way, hope everything works out well ;) 

Edit: Just double checked, the 4.5 ft^3 net spec is labeled as "Fb: 33 Hz" according to the Kicker manual.

Archived