Second Skin Audio

HELP!! Custom Ported/Vented Box for 2014 Mustang

Greenfun13

Sounds to me like you ought to take it to a shop... you're being pretty specific in the way you want it to fit.

If it was me I'd either raise the portion of the floor under the front edge of the box to match the hump or the whole floor and face it backwards against the seat as long as you've got the height.

I'd also remove the rear deck speakers to allow the lows better entry into the cabin. Rear speakers are only for "rear-fill" imo and personally I don't run them in any car of mine.

49 minutes ago, Greenfun13 said:

ZERO plans on adding a second sub. I am still breaking in this single U-12 and I feel it will be plenty. 

Interesting idea on turning the box around. Never even crossed my mind. lol Ill spin it around for the drive home from work today and see how it sounds. 

Generally speaking, how much room do you need in front of a subwoofer? (AKA between my backseat and sub if I turn it around) Is ~3-5 inches okay? 

from center of cone you want a minimum of half the diameter of the speaker, so for a 12, you want 6" from center of cone/dustcap minimum.

9 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Sounds to me like you ought to take it to a shop... you're being pretty specific in the way you want it to fit.

If it was me I'd either raise the portion of the floor under the front edge of the box to match the hump or the whole floor and face it backwards against the seat as long as you've got the height.

I'd also remove the rear deck speakers to allow the lows better entry into the cabin. Rear speakers are only for "rear-fill" imo and personally I don't run them in any car of mine.

I dont mind going to a shop to have something made, just don't know of any reputable car audio shops around me. Guess ill have to start reading through some local yelp! reviews. I actually forgot to add my rear fill speaker specs to the original post, but theyre on a switch and I only turn them on occasionally, dont really want to pull them out if I can avoid it. 

I guess what I really want (not sure if its possible though) is a custom design box that looks something similar to this one, but built and ported properly for my single 12:

https://www.netaudiowf.com/product/2005-2014-ford-mustang-sub-box-rear-fire-ported/ 

9 minutes ago, bmwking said:

from center of cone you want a minimum of half the diameter of the speaker, so for a 12, you want 6" from center of cone/dustcap minimum.

Thank you for this info!! Ill see what space I have to work with when I get home.

6 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

And please... PLEASE... don't put a U-12 in that ^^^^ enclosure.

That thing looks like it will limit all output after maybe a couple of hundred watts.

Sure looks like a prefab to me... "custom".... idk 

NO WAY!! That "custom" box is JUST for a design reference. Notice how it "steps up" to clear the hump in the trunk maximizing the usable cargo space in the trunk.

I just like the way that box fits in the space I have, and it happens to be the right air space I need @ 2 cu. ft.

TANG210P_04.jpg

Ill get more measurements when I get home, but if I bring the box up to match the rear level I dont think I will have enough room to cutout a 12" hole. It would definitely have MINIMUM clearance on the top and bottom if it even fit.

Note: You can see how bad/much it steps up. Just looking for a 2 cu. ft. box to take up as LITTLE space as possible in my setup. 

I GREATLY appreciate everyones input so far!  Thank you!

ford_mustang_sub_box_04.jpg

Hey guys,

I turned my box around and pointed the sub into the cabin of the car. Sounded about the same, MAYBE a little louder? However, I do like the added protection of the sub not being exposed to any cargo in the trunk.

What is everyone's opinion on aeroports? My takeaway on them is that they are the most efficient port, but they do not add any strength to the box. Can you make an adjustable aeroport box?

My current 1.8 cuft box is tuned to 43hz and plays everything from dubstep to rock with no problem. Just wondering how much the upper bass is going to be affected by lowering my tuning down to the recommended 32hz? Or should I meet in the middle and go 35-38hz?

Could someone design me a 2 cu ft box with a max height and depth of 14". Width can be up to 32". Tuned around 32-34hz? 

Picture is of my box facing into the cabin and the amount of space I have between my backseat and sub face.

IMG_20190228_190614.jpg

Archived