Need Help On Getting The Right Mid And High Speakers

pervitizm

As some of you here may know I just recently got a pair of DC Level 4 18's for my 2007 Suburban. Now I want to try and focus on my front stage. I'm not looking for competition SQ here, just something that will be on par with the 18's until I turn the bass knob up... :D . I'm mostly listen to rap and R&B, but I've been known to listen to all types of music. It common for me to listen to Project Pat and then turn around a play some Hall and Oats, or Phil Collins. :rolleyes: That's just how I roll. It also doesn't help working with a co-worker who doesn't listen to music pass 1990.

At first I was thinking about going with an active 3 way setup using some raw drivers from partsexpress.com. You know maybe a pair of Dayton 8 midbass drivers, Dayton 6.5 midranges and a pair of 1' dome tweeters. After thinking about it for some time now, I've decided that it would be too much work and time for me to do this while living in an apartment no less. So I've decided to scrape that ideal due to limited work area, time, budget, and equipment as the reason's why I don't want to go that route. So instead I'm thinking about doing something simple and not to over the top. I want to go with a nice 2 way for the front (6.5 for the doors and 1' tweeters for the A pillars), and a good pair of coaxials for the rear doors. I'm not gonna replace the pair of 4.5 in the rear pillars in the back of the truck (the bass from the subs will drown those out). Pretty much the speakers would be direct factory replacements. As of right now I have a budget of around $500 - $600 that I will have available for this part of my system. I've got a few ideals floating around that I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on.

Option 1: Passive 2 way up front with coaxials for the rear and a decent 4 channel amp to power all six speakers.

Option 2: Active 2 way up front that will be powered by the 4 channel amp and a pair of coaxials that will be powered by the factory amp

Option 3: Coaxials for the front doors/coaxials for the rear doors all powered by the 4 channel amp. Leave the factory tweeters in place

What do you guys think?

As far as brands, I'm just as confussed. I've owned Kenwood, Polk, and Memphis before. I wouldn't mind going back with Memphis but the dealer who I use to get my Memphis gear from has gone out of business. I was thinking about trying something new like Diamond Audio, or even eD just to be different, but I want to make sure that whatever I pick it will be able to keep in line with the 18's. Sorry for the long post but I wouldn't post if I didn't need the help.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

if you like memphis i would stick with them i have them and really like them i would run a set of m class coaxs in the doors with a tweeter in the pillar and a set of coaxs in the rear a good 4ch amp is a must to make them sound clean and keep up with the bass ive done many set ups that way and them always sound good going with the coaxs seems to be louder with the extra tweeter you get allot more highs.

smdsig2.jpg

Doesn't Memphis currently have a 7inch coaxial system out right now? My factory speakers in the front doors are 7inches in diameter so if I could find some 7inch coaxials that would be great.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

If I were to go with option 2 I was thinking of something like this:

midbass/midrange : Dayton Rs180-4

295-374m.jpg

Tweeters: Tang Band 25-1166SJ 1" Neodymium Tweeter

264-834m.jpg

Now I would run these off a 4 channel amp, something like a Kicker ZX350.4. That would allow for around 30 - 60rms for each driver. What I'm not sure on is how I would setup the freq cutoffs just using the amp alone. From the reviews I've read the tang band would need to cut off at around 2.5khz, while the Dayton would be setup from 300Hz to 3khz. Does that sound right? Would it be good to go with bassblockers for both the tweeters and the woofer?

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

ita a 8inch component set you can mount the tweeter in the mid like a coax on install a phase plug and mount tweeter else where they sound good but wouldnt expect allot of bass but good mid bass

You wouldn't happen to know the model number of that component set would you? I went to Memphis site yesterday and I couldn't find it.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Archived