Second Skin Audio

Help designing port for reg cab truck box

Hello,

I need help designing the port for my box. I'm putting 2 x12's in a regular cab dodge 2500. pray for me. i've come up with a good sized box, i just help designing the port. the box is 4.92 ft^3. I am tuning it to 32 hz, and need ideas for a port that will fit in the dimensions of the box. the x12's call for 80 in^2 of surface area for the port, either with a slot or aero port. this is the only problem with my idea. I can make 2 5" aero vents fit, but they only come out to 40 in^2 of surface area, which is half of what i need. when i make the diameter of the aero port wider, the whole pipe must be longer, and then it exceeds the depth of my box. 

perhaps you have an idea on one with a right angle. please let me know. i will attach a sketch up file and some photos.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.27.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.27.27 PM.png

truck box for sundown speakers.skp

doubt you will build a proper ported enclouser for 2 12's behind the seat of a regular cab. even if you sit on the steering wheel. Best bet is get bucket seats from another vehicle and build an enclosure between the seats. even then it will be difficult to design a good enclosure.

47 minutes ago, beep a geek said:

Hello,

I need help designing the port for my box. I'm putting 2 x12's in a regular cab dodge 2500. pray for me. i've come up with a good sized box, i just help designing the port. the box is 4.92 ft^3. I am tuning it to 32 hz, and need ideas for a port that will fit in the dimensions of the box. the x12's call for 80 in^2 of surface area for the port, either with a slot or aero port. this is the only problem with my idea. I can make 2 5" aero vents fit, but they only come out to 40 in^2 of surface area, which is half of what i need. when i make the diameter of the aero port wider, the whole pipe must be longer, and then it exceeds the depth of my box. 

perhaps you have an idea on one with a right angle. please let me know. i will attach a sketch up file and some photos.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.27.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 6.27.27 PM.png

truck box for sundown speakers.skpUnavailable

Check my build perfect size box ports. Size barely fit, but it been working for the past 6yrs on 2x12. And a rf 1500bdcp  no problems

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

When space is a constraint, design compromises will have to be made.  I'd be very wary of undersizing your port by much.  Around tuning ALL the output comes out the port/s and if they are undersized you will give up a lot of potential output.

For truck boxes what I've seen work well is to use a slot port and run it along either the top or the bottom of the box and have it fire out the side.  It allows you to get as much port length as you need and being a 3 common wall port, its very space efficient.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived