Second Skin Audio

Finally built my first ported box

BYTizzle

Well this passed weekend the wife made sure I held up to my word on doing her stereo in her Mini... So I changed gears from dreaming up ideas for my Benz and built everything for her car instead.  Gave me a good chance to try building a ported enclosure for the first time and putting some of the softwares to the test. 

The box is 29 x 13 x 10.5, 1.75 port width, 34.375 length, ~1.1 cubes net @ 35hz.  Sub is a SA-10D2 being powered by a Hifonics HFI1000.1d. 

The car is a 2012 Mini Cooper S Convertible.  I have never put a sub in a 'vert before so this was also an interesting experiment for me!  Other than being a 6'1" tall man cramming into a Mini Cooper to install door speakers, run wiring, install box etc, it went pretty smooth lol...  Once everything was installed I got the chance to see how the box performed, which exceeded expectations honestly, and what effect the top had on the sound.  I really didn't expect the soft top on the car to matter but there is a huge difference in bass output with the top up vs down.  With the top down, the sub might as well not be in there, there was almost no output from it!  Im sure no one is surprised by this but the dramatic difference was what shocked me.  I was sure there would be SOME loss but this was almost a total loss of bass.  I will say, it was fun tho watching the soft top flex like mad with it up.  Any dust/dirt in the fabric would hover just above the top when the bass hit and then settle when the bass stopped.  It was both mesmerizing and amusing to watch!  This was also my first time buying a Sundown sub and I will definitely be buying more in the future.  It sounds extremely clean and the car pounds pretty hard for only being (1) 10 in a convertible of all things!

I realize I should've added some corner braces in the port but Im working with hand tools only.  Not sure I trust myself not to cut my fingers off trying to cut some thin wedges.  If Im going to keep building more boxes I really need to invest in a table saw!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(Sorry, forgot to take a pic of it in the trunk)

Do it!  I went back and forth with the Torres calculator and the RE Audio box program on their site to help visualize the design.  The RE doesnt allow you to add sub displacement which does effect net volume and tuning a bit, so using both programs helped get accurate measurements and also visually see what I was doing.  Worst case, you waste $20-$30 in material and a couple hrs of your time and have to start over.

Archived