Second Skin Audio

American Bass XR 12-4 box design.

Scotnemily

Another possible option is to go with something like this.

I would probably need to go back to the port in the center, but I would have almost 8" between the edges of the subs. Not quite all of that would be usable, but probably 7" of it would be. I might also be able to push them out a little more to the sides. the back is nearly 40" wide done like this. the box would take more time to build but would it work better?

Thanks for your help and patience! :)

3 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Another possible option is to go with something like this.

423437830_9-6-201910-40-07AM.png.2f3efa4ba9afbc67f14c208793f26f86.png

I would probably need to go back to the port in the center, but I would have almost 8" between the edges of the subs. Not quite all of that would be usable, but probably 7" of it would be. I might also be able to push them out a little more to the sides. the back is nearly 40" wide done like this. the box would take more time to build but would it work better?

Thanks for your help and patience! :)

A box like that would allow better use of the space you have available, but will be MUCH more challenging to build.  I guess it depends on if you are up for something like that or not.  If you do want to go that route I would get rid of all the 45 degree angles and square everything off.  The slight increase in internal volume isn't worth the increased complexity of making all those angled cuts.  

If you want to stick with a rectangular box, here is the best compromise I could come up with using the space you have available.

image.png.cfd1d00d8e9e5c2d0cfb9111a5820614.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Awesome thanks for the help!!

I will try to decide if I want to go the simple rectangle, or the more complicated version.

I made another update to the more complicated version. Right now I have it back to 2 6" round ports at 28" in length. I could do that or the slot port. not sure which way yet I would go with that build. I took your advice and got rid of some of those angles.

Well I can get almost everything laid out on 1 48" x 96" sheet. there are a few small parts. I will have to pick up a half sheet also. Now if I could find someone local with a CNC that would really make this process go fast. :)

Just thought I would update this. I removed my sub box and the panels in my trunk. I took some more measurements. Taking the panels off did give me a little more room, but not much. Sorry for the wires they were behind the panels.

looks like I could go 17.5” tall if I remove the amp from up top. 16” if I wanted to keep it there. I will probably be putting the new amp in a different location anyway.

i could go 33” wide at the very bottom now instead of 32” with the panels in place. On the latest design I posted I had the back of the box at 40” wide. That might be pushing it to fit into the trunk. I am thinking if I stay close to the size of the removable carpet, then I should be good. That is 36” wide.

Here are some pictures of what I am working with. Well I guess I won’t show the pictures can’t get them to add to the post

I can share a link but the forums won’t let me add an image either by url link or from my phone.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0LZ7Nkk3gRzgMUKmT-PhG0cVw#Home

I got the subs in today. They look pretty nice. I was surprised how light they are though. I guess I was expecting more heft. Not that it means anything really, and I know it was stated 200oz. I am used to my old PPI subs. They are 25lbs each. They look much more massive. Obviously I don’t have a box for these yet. Also my Amp is still on its way here.

Ok I think this is what I am going with unless Someone says it needs to be tweaked. It is 33" wide at the bottom 36" wide everywhere else. it is now 16" tall instead of 15" and is still 24" deep. The ports are both 28" in length and 6" diameter. I will probably add a little more bracing inside and box will be Birch not MDF. Many thanks to Triticum Agricolam! You provided me with so much help!

I got a rough quote back from a local place for them to use their cnc to cut out the parts $100-$150. A little higher then I was hoping, but not more than I was expecting. It is appealing to me since then all I would have to do is assemble it. I don’t have to take my time to get the table saw out, which would probably mean moving the camper, which would mean moving other things. I also wouldn’t have to spend the time measuring and re measuring and cutting. But it adds $150 to the cost for something I could do. Decisions, decisions... 

Archived