Second Skin Audio

Double baffle on a single Sundown SA 10?

CorNut

I'm building a 1.25 cuft @32hz for my SA-10, I'm planning to recess it and trying to decide if cutting a recessing ring would suffice or would the single 10 benefit from a double baffle? My box has a single vertical and horizontal brace in the middle of it. My amp's (Kicker CXA800) birth certificate says it's 862w. I like the idea of not holding back but this is going in a Cruze hatchback daily driver and space is limited.

All wood is 3/4" MDF

I would do just like its pictured with a 2nd recessed baffle. But I haven't built a box in 5 years regardless of sub that I haven't done a 2nd flush baffle. That's my personal taste regardless if its needed or not, it looks much better.

But if your front baffle is braced well then no you dont need a 2nd baffle

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

4 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

I would do just like its pictured with a 2nd recessed baffle. But I haven't built a box in 5 years regardless of sub that I haven't done a 2nd flush baffle. That's my personal taste regardless if its needed or not, it looks much better.

But if your front baffle is braced well then no you dont need a 2nd baffle

If I don't double baffle with a recess I'll use a recess ring behind the baffle so it'll still have that flush look. I didn't design the box I'm building, I'm torn between following it to a T or whether it's overkill for my application. It's going in a small hatchback so I'm hoping to conserve storage area but only if I'm not sacrificing performance. It'll occasionally need to be removed but I'd rather deal with the weight and loss of additional .75" storage space if there's a performance benefit. I may not be able to do a recess ring anyway, I'm getting the wood tomorrow and I'll test fit as I build. The SA 10 has a 6" top mount depth so that may make the decision for me.

Archived