Sundown Audio

Amplifier overhead & gain overlap

jnasty

What's up guys, I've read a bit about gain overlap and believe I understand it pretty well. I understand that music isn't ever recorded at 0db so that's why we'd set gain at (to make this easy) -6db. So the overall experience will be much louder & yes, clipping at those peaks every meaow & again. 

But let's say I was going for SQ and didn't want to send my amp into clipping at all.. or much less. In theory, couldn't I get an amplifier 4 times as powerful (6db) (amp overhead) and set gains with a 0db tone?? 

In theory a 100w amp set with a -6db tone will be the same loudness as a 400w amp set with a 0db tone. Except the 400w won't clip at all.. 

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Escape

Electrical: 275A Singer, 160ah XS/Yinlong lithium, 2,000farad XS Supercaps

Head Unit: Apple iPad Hi-Res Passthrough Topping d10s

Speakers: {ACTIVE} - (4) Arc Audio RS 6.0, (2) Arc Audio RS 4.0 & (2) Arc Audio RS 1.0

Sub Stage: (2) TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" 

Amplifiers: ARC Audio - (4)4200SE(comp modded, (2)4000SE 

Processing: Helix DSP Pro W/ Dash Mounted Director 

Taking away every other variable and only looking at the signal, yes. If you set two oscilloscopes up to mirror each other and compared the output sine wave of an amp outputting 100w at -6db and an amp outputting 400w at 0dB, the signals would mirror each other (same time per division on the scope).

This is already what most SQ guys do. 

Archived