Single Cab Dual 10" Low Volume Custom Box

I have a my OG 2002 Silverado Single Cab (original owner) that has been in garage for past 10 years (only 40K miles).  Back in the day I installed a DB Drive System which consists of: (2) 10" Speed Series Subs with a Mono DB Drive Platinum Series Amp, a pair of 4x6 DB Drive speakers in back pillar columns, and 6.5 DB Drive Components on doors with tweeters on the A pillars powered by a 4 channel DB Drive Speed Series Amp. not sure the wattage of the components but I paid a pretty penny back in the day.  Being that my truck is a single cab the sound I get from the custom ported box is not that great.  Its a ported box with 2 the dual subs side by side shifted to drivers side box is not too deep and fits behind the seat.  I was young and ignorant and went to one of the only audio shops in the area where I live about 12-13 years ago.  I later found out that the owners were also the owners of DB Drive.  They had 18 wheelers parked at their shops and they had all their DB Drive cars and trucks they would take to audio and car shows back 10-15 years ago, not sure if they still do that or not.  Being that they had ownership in DB Drive when someone ever when into their shop that's pretty much what they pushed for you to buy.  I was not the exception.  Now that I am smarter, I am finding out that DB Drive is pretty much junk!  My son is now going to high school and I want to pull the truck from storage and pass it down to him but want to upgrade the sound to something more modern (head) and something that sounds better.  I am thinking of using the existing box since that's the only thing that seems legit and pretty well made but the cubic volume is tight.  Thinking of getting a pair of DC Level 2's (10 inch) since they only require a 1 cubic foot enclosure and are only 5.5" deep.  Also looking at some B2 6.5 components and a good pair 4x6's for mids.  Am I on the right path to swap out what I currently have?  What low volume enclosure 10 inch subs would you recommend?  What good amps should I power this with?   As far as the head unit I am going with a double din now Metra makes a  pretty good dash kit that replaces the factory bezel.  Any suggestions help.  Want to do things right.  If you can layout a system that I should go with I'm also open to that.  

Ditch the 4x6, ,not sure if your box has enough room for 2 tens ported, sealed might be your best bet, really need to measure out your box see what space you have..I've done 3 shallow mount 12 pionner before I was really impressed..amp wise lots of good choices..maybe look for a 2 channel to fit behind driver seat.and a mini to slide under passenger seat crescendo audio symphony seriea has big power amps that take up small space .db drive not junk maybe that line was .but they have some decent stuff too

Did you have a budget you're working with for the new gear? I agree to ditching the 4x6's in the rear pillars, they aren't doing much, put that power to the front stage instead. I also agree with the Crescendo Symphony series amps. they are small and you can fit them in multiple locations (I have a set but haven't hooked them up yet). For subs, the Sundown E series also only require 1 cubic foot per sub. I know you mentioned that you want to keep the current box, but you also might want to try and go with a decent single sub in the correctly sized box, instead of trying to find subs that fit the current box. Just a thought. Good luck, I'm curious to find out what you end up going with.

Archived