ptcary Posted October 6, 2008 Author Report Posted October 6, 2008 maybee i missed it but what was the poly fill for ?? The theory is that the polyfill fools the subs into seeing a bigger airspace than there really is. It works for sure in sealed boxes, but there is still a debate in ported. I have used it in several ported boxes before with good results to my ears. So I used it here again. PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
ptcary Posted October 6, 2008 Author Report Posted October 6, 2008 but when I'm done building, if it's loud, it's loud, if not, hopefully it sounds good. ..same goal I had 5 months ago! I've already had two good sources tell me it sounds good, it hurts my ears within 10 minutes of playing time, leaves them ringing after a 40 minute drive, and gets plenty of posts about it not being loud enough to the 150 people! Like anything this big, it'll scare someone who is not into car audio at all. my main goal was to find people on here who are just like me, those that have good knowledge of this stuff, but have never really built somthing big for any reason. I learned about batteries, how to fiberglass my own a-pillars, what to look for in speaker specs, crossovers, head units, learned more about port tuning, and so much more. I can't put into words how much fun I had in the beginning, then it got a little ugly, then I finally got it playing, now I am still fine tuning it. I have neglected customizing the rest of the car while I did the stereo. So the rest of the car is priority now. Thanks to all you guys who understand this build, and sorry to all you SPL guys that expected a ground pounder! I figured the SPL people would not spend any time looking. PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
NordicDude Posted October 8, 2008 Report Posted October 8, 2008 Hey! Love the build, it looks very nice and probably sounds even better. But i have one advice to give you, i am running a pure SQ setup in my car With pure Hertz speakers and a SQ Headunit from pioneer. And i see you are underpowering your subs and i see you have replied this over and over again. BUT, if you look at it this way, underpowering your subs in a "semi" SQ car is actually a bad thing. Your loose controll of your subs and you cant really get them to their full potensial. Adding more power to the subs will only do you good. You will have moore controll over your subs, you will experience a lot more dynamics and quality of the bass by giving the subs at least the rated power. In the setup im using i will give a 700wRms rated sub DUBBLE the power it is rated at. Just to have the little extra power when the music gets demanding and advanced. So my advice is get more power, BECAUSE you will gain in sound quality Hertz - Pioneer - Zealum
ptcary Posted October 8, 2008 Author Report Posted October 8, 2008 Hey! Love the build, it looks very nice and probably sounds even better. But i have one advice to give you, i am running a pure SQ setup in my car With pure Hertz speakers and a SQ Headunit from pioneer. And i see you are underpowering your subs and i see you have replied this over and over again. BUT, if you look at it this way, underpowering your subs in a "semi" SQ car is actually a bad thing. Your loose controll of your subs and you cant really get them to their full potensial. Adding more power to the subs will only do you good. You will have moore controll over your subs, you will experience a lot more dynamics and quality of the bass by giving the subs at least the rated power. In the setup im using i will give a 700wRms rated sub DUBBLE the power it is rated at. Just to have the little extra power when the music gets demanding and advanced. So my advice is get more power, BECAUSE you will gain in sound quality Thanks, my PT is not a SQ car by any means, not a SPL car either, I think you guys classify it as "streetbeat". It just happened to turn out pretty well balanced sounding to two professional audio guys that listened to it. Maybe some day, I can switch out the amps for some of the Hifonics line vs the Crunch line for more power, but an alternator upgrade would have to come first. I had a Hifonics amp in the car before and they are built more solid than the Crunchline, and deliver their power with more force. The other 'adjustment' for me is the Eclipse head unit volume that goes from 0-80 vs my old Alpine and Jensen that went from 0-30 or 0-40. The subs don't get going until the volume is up in the 50's. Also, I am a huge fan of 15" subs, and probably could have got away with 4 15"s in a similar wall, and been very happy, but after seeing the Hoopty, I had to have 8 subs, and 12"s were the biggest I could fit, plus I already had 4 of them! Since this car will be my daily driver for another year or so until I get a second car, It does not really need more power for my ears to listen to it daily, mainly 80's music. PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
caprice2low Posted October 9, 2008 Report Posted October 9, 2008 it's like what i tell people bout my builds " I buit it this way because i like it " and i think your the same way so a big thumbs up on the build and i am sure that lil pt will fool alot of people MADHOPPER HYDRAULICS BURQUE,NM 2PUMPS 4DUMPS 6BATTS ARMS EXTENDED DAILY DRIVEN RAIN OR SHINE
ptcary Posted October 10, 2008 Author Report Posted October 10, 2008 Ok, a lot of PM's came to me asking where to get the subs so cheap, so here you go $20 per sub! http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%...uct+%23=HFI12D4 PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
ptcary Posted October 19, 2008 Author Report Posted October 19, 2008 Vid taken today with some Techmaster PEB.... It don't do hair tricks, but I guess it does tunnel tricks PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
Chode69 Posted October 21, 2008 Report Posted October 21, 2008 nice vid...i checked out the next one after it. good shit bro!! very clean. lil more power and that shirt will hold itself up!! NoFearX18 said: Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said: i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL! trainman0978 said: I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P... Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power 2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!! DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!
ptcary Posted November 8, 2008 Author Report Posted November 8, 2008 Interior update....the seats arrived today! Gotta work on the drivers side tomorrow. The 2006 console was gone over with plastic prep, primer, and bedliner until I make some beauty panels for the sides of it covered in grey carpet or fake suede. 2006 PT console... Test fitting the new console, still need to pull it and finish painting it, and redo the armrest in suede or something... New amp rack under construction.... No carputer for me, but I can hook the PSP up to my 7" screen and surf SMD in the PT! PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
dmanson Posted November 8, 2008 Report Posted November 8, 2008 looking good brotha. i might have to cop some of those subs and put them in my garage or how about a T40001bd running 16 of them. 2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s 1-DC 5K amp (1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR) 3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative. (2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear) Audiocontrol 3.1. DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.