kentb Posted February 17, 2009 Report Posted February 17, 2009 nice upgrade! can't wait to see some vids of this thing! New System 2 10" Fi SSD, Sundown 1500d Build I build and design enclosures(cheap price), PM ME Kicker L7 Navigator(plexiglass, fiberglass, aeroport) Build BTL 18" Escalade(plexiglass, battery tray) Build http://www.kentbaudio.com Old System
ptcary Posted February 17, 2009 Author Report Posted February 17, 2009 you have completely confused the hell out of me a few pages back when you said "IM PISSED!" but never told why? Sorry, You've got to go back and read more. Simple rundown: 1. I stated in my very first post that this was a low powered build despite the size of the wall. Its my dailly driver and will never compete. 2. When I finally got it up and running, everyone forgot that first post and said, "you need more power!" ....and "Whats it hit?" forgetting that its an SQL setup. 3. I stated my confusion on the whole 'dynamic watts' thing but was pretty set on leaving it all alone. 4. I then read a lot about giving subs their rated RMS and decided that since I already had very powerful mids/highs, then came tax return time, a new sub amp was in order. PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
ptcary Posted February 17, 2009 Author Report Posted February 17, 2009 nice upgrade! can't wait to see some vids of this thing! Thanks man! I gotta finish up some wiring and put the passenger seat back in. As soon as the rain lets up this week, I'll get some new videos. Edited: that shoulda read "put the passenger seat back in". PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
Andrew2944r Posted February 17, 2009 Report Posted February 17, 2009 PT you need to come out to Heatwave in Austin in July, I will be down there, would love to see it in person for sure!! I live over in Tyler, Texas Team Ampere Audio
ptcary Posted February 17, 2009 Author Report Posted February 17, 2009 PT you need to come out to Heatwave in Austin in July, I will be down there, would love to see it in person for sure!! I live over in Tyler, Texas I am usually there, spectator only. I don't know what it would take to compete, or even pass the tech inpspection. Maybe we can get a SMD Heatwave group together to meet up. I would be more than happy to let you guys listen to it, but again I won't be competing with it. Oh and if your running 6 SAZ3000's I'm gonna wanna hear that, too! PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
Charger Posted February 17, 2009 Report Posted February 17, 2009 New amp looks great man. Surely you'd notice a huge increase after that power (To ear anyway) Previous 150+ daily rides: Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470 2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4 x American Bass HD18 walled SMD - System of The Month August 2008 My Youtube Videos
ptcary Posted February 17, 2009 Author Report Posted February 17, 2009 New amp looks great man. Surely you'd notice a huge increase after that power (To ear anyway) Thanks for looking, Charger......not really on your level, but a great amp nonetheless! I just set the gains on both amps, and plan to throttle it up high for the first time tomorrow on the way to work . My garage is right under another apartment, so I can't test it in there and the weather is a mess here today. To the ear it's easy to hear the difference, it's so much more authoritative, but not harsh at all. I did not expect it to be so smooth and controlled sounding, maybe that's the difference between class D and A/B amps on subs, or just a better quality amp. I spent most of my time with SQ music so far just to sort things out, but I'll have to hit may test playlist in the ipod tomorrow. So far,so good! PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
FYI-Future-Star Posted February 18, 2009 Report Posted February 18, 2009 looks real nice bro Team O.B.M '97 Tahoe Build after the new year!!! Kenwood kdc-x794/16gig android tablet 6 sets of Crescendo ccx65s 2 18s 2 Sundown saz 4500s 2 Sundown sax 100.4 1 Mechman SMD spec 360a 4 XS d1400s My Feed Back http://www.stevemead...showtopic=44841 ub
ptcary Posted February 23, 2009 Author Report Posted February 23, 2009 Ok, a nice update . I have been playing with setup and tuning for about a week and I think I got it dialed in finally. It was a little more involved than just turning up the gains on the 4 channel amp now that the AQ2200D was in and tuned. All gains are set by my ear, the AQ 2200D is set ~3/4, and the 4 channel Crunch (115x4 rms) gains are set 1/2 front and 1/4 rear. The center channel is run mono off the head unit, and all processing is done via the head unit, Eclipse CD7000. I rewired everything and added a second Kinetik HC600 in the back, the HC1400 is still under the hood. I am seeing 14.1v at my rear batteries for normal listening and 13.4 at full volume, 13.6v and 13.0v at the OBD plug up front. I still plan to run the charger/conditioner, but will probably run it more often now. I added the mesh insert to the sides of the console, but they may get glassed over then covered in suede, not sure yet. I also made some covers for the ports...gotta keep it true to the mini-MEade theme! I had bought these steel handles to use on a battery mount, but did not use them there, so I mounted one on each side of my wall by the rear windows. And just cause I know how demanding you guys are................VIDS!!!!!!!!! Voltage drop....13.4 at the rear batteries....volume at 60 of 80 on the head unit, RPMs at 1500 until the alternator % rises, that was letting off and back to idle: Moments in bass ~50hz...not sure why the camera mic goes quiet as it gets closer to the tunnel, but this is one of the loudest songs in the car: Roof flex!! SQL, this is some old school Depeche Mode....I am a BIG eighties/nineties fan, and this is what the car is tuned for: Thats all for now, hope you guys like it! I am thrilled that it sounds so smooth for a 2200 watt amp!! I expected it to be very harsh. Its really tame at normal listening, but you can hear the added authority over the 2 Crunch amps. At full tilt, it's a HUGE difference, the enclosure is very strong with no resonance, and the body of the car is ok with all the edead in it! I do have a pretty big amount of sound and pressure making it back past the wall into the rear of the car, not sure what the easy way of correcting that would be. I do have a vid of Jeezy's Hypnotize but it went 101 mb and is too big for photobucket, if you guys want better vids of the excursion , post up and I'll take some. PTCary 2003 SMD PT Cruiser 2011 Honda CBR 250R 2010 Mazda 3i Sport MY BUILD LOG
kentb Posted February 23, 2009 Report Posted February 23, 2009 i love this build, SQL FTW! im curious, how much air does it move? New System 2 10" Fi SSD, Sundown 1500d Build I build and design enclosures(cheap price), PM ME Kicker L7 Navigator(plexiglass, fiberglass, aeroport) Build BTL 18" Escalade(plexiglass, battery tray) Build http://www.kentbaudio.com Old System
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.