Sundown Audio

Eclipse XA5000 Problem with sub output Help.

BillyR

HI guys, I am new here so try not to beat me up too much. :-) Here is what I have going on. I have a system I just installed in my 2005 Corvette. The heart of it being the Eclipse XA5000. I have had it in storage for many years waiting for the time to install. Now its in but.... Have problems

When I it power up, the 4 channels (front left and right, Rear left and right) work fine. The Sub however, will not come on....at first. After running music for about 30 minutes or so, the sub will all of a sudden come on and work fine until I shut down the unit. If I start the stereo back up instantly, it takes about 30 seconds or so for the sub to come on. I can hear the amp make a audible click when the sub starts.

Things I have tried: I have checked all my outputs from the stereo to the amp. They are all good. I have checked for signal on all RCAs at the amp, again, all good. I have fed the sub power from another channel and it works. No blown fuses and all adjustment nobs don't change anything. Tomorrow I will be double checking grounds, but I thought that was a long shot as the other 4 channels work just fine.

Its driving me a little crazy, ok crazy-er because this whole system was built around this amp, and not much will fit in the hole, and due to the worlds craziness , buying a new amp is not in the cards right now. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you and happy Easter and quarantine and all that good stuff.

20200403_210141.jpg

Here’s a link for their website. Once on the website, click the scroll bar on the top left hand corner and scroll down to where it says amp repair and it will prompt you through sending them a message. 

https://theamplab.net/

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 minute ago, 121gigawatts said:

Here’s a link for their website. Once on the website, click the scroll bar on the top left hand corner and scroll down to where it says amp repair and it will prompt you through sending them a message. 

https://theamplab.net/

That will be an option for sure. I was just hoping there might be something I had not tried Other than sending it out. Thank you for the reply, I will keep the info and may have to use it.

Did you check your connections to your subwoofer and then take it out of the box and check them connections too? I would do that after I checked the fuses even though it it’s almost impossible it’s a fuse lol but I’d do it anyways because I check everything just in case. But the fact that you hear the amp making a noise before the bass cuts on makes me think you have to send it off. Check your subwoofer connection, inside and out. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 minutes ago, 121gigawatts said:

Did you check your connections to your subwoofer and then take it out of the box and check them connections too.

Yes I did. I checked sub functionality at both the wires as well as the speaker its self.

Yep removed it from the enclosure and hooked it up to one of the amps other channels and it worked fine. its also an eclipse 10" DVC It must be something in the amp like you mentioned.. I was just hoping for a " ohhh you need a new one of these"  I am not afraid to open this thing up if need be. I have a solder gun and I know how to use it...lol Just don't know what part it might need, and why it eventually comes on and works great.

I agree with 121 gigs. That series of Eclipse amps  is pretty old and probably is going to have failed/failing capacitors. I just replaced an XA1000 I loved a couple of months ago. I also have some skill with a soldering iron but I did not try to repair my XA. I’ve repaired other amps but Eclipses have narrow traces and solder pads on the circuit boards that make replacing components tricky. I ruined my  Eclipse 4 channel in my own recapping attempt.

Archived