Second Skin Audio

Brand X custom kerf port 4 x 8" subs

AaronT

7 hours ago, ToNasty said:

He send out chipped scratched up alternators.  And sometimes completely wrong alternators.  I sent 2 alternators back to him and went with ces.  Many other people I've talked to that have had the same issue.  He's careless and scratches shit

I could see that happening in the old very crowded shop. But not a likely thing to happen any more in the bigger shop he's in now. Very organized. 

Has a little wrinkle on left side lower sub.

I got 7 fucking can on this, 3 cans primer, 4 cans color and 4 cans matte clear, last coat last cost of the last can of clear I got slightly distracted and slowed down the stroke and a sagging ass run happened.

But I let it tack up some and tapped it flat with my finger, I did best I could.

20200428_124752.jpg

20200428_124757.jpg

20200428_124802.jpg

On 4/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, CstrokerV said:

those logos and color of box  ruined that box just my opinion... should of went with the blue stain or some other color... but if the owner is happy with it thats all that matters

It is the color of the vehicle. 

I like it.

Didn't have time to play with stain and poly

21 hours ago, AaronT said:

Has a little wrinkle on left side lower sub.

I got 7 fucking can on this, 3 cans primer, 4 cans color and 4 cans matte clear, last coat last cost of the last can of clear I got slightly distracted and slowed down the stroke and a sagging ass run happened.

But I let it tack up some and tapped it flat with my finger, I did best I could.

20200428_124752.jpg

20200428_124757.jpg

20200428_124802.jpg

I'm going to be building my own box soon (hopefully) did you just use spray paint? Grey primer spray, spray paint, spray clear? I think it looks good! The paint is really nice. It's not super flashy. It'll look damn good sitting inside the car. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

5 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I'm going to be building my own box soon (hopefully) did you just use spray paint? Grey primer spray, spray paint, spray clear? I think it looks good! The paint is really nice. It's not super flashy. It'll look damn good sitting inside the car. 

Yeah Rust-Oleum high build automotive primer.

Then Rust-Oleum metalic (had 10 minute dry to touch, 30 min fully dry time) and matte clear which had a 15min dry to touch, tecoat anytime and full dry 1-2 hours.

I should have given it a whole 24 hours after last coat. Cuzz it was dry, but still soft, where setting a sub on it, or laying it on its side was enough to "smush" the finish from weight.

The full day would have been "hard" 

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

Yeah Rust-Oleum high build automotive primer.

Then Rust-Oleum metalic (had 10 minute dry to touch, 30 min fully dry time) and matte clear which had a 15min dry to touch, tecoat anytime and full dry 1-2 hours.

I should have given it a whole 24 hours after last coat. Cuzz it was dry, but still soft, where setting a sub on it, or laying it on its side was enough to "smush" the finish from weight.

The full day would have been "hard" 

I get it. In the home stretch, screw it, it'll be fine.... damnit! If I can take up 5 more of your minutes.... if you could build a box of any type wood you could that would be accessible to normal population, what would you use? I've always used MDF, but always wondered if there was something better for sound... not so much aesthetics, just pure sound quality/ output

MDF is technically the best for sound quality, a terrible for longevity.

But the difference in sound ,MDF vs. Another wood like birch or something is not noticed by human ear really.

If I had it perfect, solid oak.

The real benefit with birch is the weight reduction still being very rigid.

If this box was made out of MDF I would not have been able to get it in the car me and my girlfriend I don't have to have called another two grown adults over to help me get in position

That is something to really think about the Box

There's also a building material called high-density fiberboard or hdf. I'm going to assume that that's even more dense than MDF and would be better for acoustics

0 also with plywood's if your subwoofers not like giant monster under 50 lb you can use regular wood screws for drywall screwwhen mounting your subwoofers instead of using wood inserts or t-nuts like you do with MDF

6 minutes ago, AaronT said:

MDF is technically the best for sound quality, a terrible for longevity.

But the difference in sound ,MDF vs. Another wood like birch or something is not noticed by human ear really.

If I had it perfect, solid oak.

The real benefit with birch is the weight reduction still being very rigid.

If this box was made out of MDF I would not have been able to get it in the car me and my girlfriend I don't have to have called another two grown adults over to help me get in position

That is something to really think about the Box

There's also a building material called high-density fiberboard or hdf. I'm going to assume that that's even more dense than MDF and would be better for acoustics

0 also with plywood's if your subwoofers not like giant monster under 50 lb you can use regular wood screws for drywall screwwhen mounting your subwoofers instead of using wood inserts or t-nuts like you do with MDF

Thanks for the reply. Off the top of my head, I think my subs are 45 lbs each. It's going to be a huge box, almost the whole bed of my truck. 4 12's in a 6th order bandpass blowthrough. I don't care about weight, I'll get that bastard in there one way or another lol. But if there's not a highly noticeable difference in sound, I was actually thinking solid oak, but I'll have to look into that hdf and see if anyone has used it in their build. Thanks man! Post pictures after you get that box mounted! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Thanks for the reply. Off the top of my head, I think my subs are 45 lbs each. It's going to be a huge box, almost the whole bed of my truck. 4 12's in a 6th order bandpass blowthrough. I don't care about weight, I'll get that bastard in there one way or another lol. But if there's not a highly noticeable difference in sound, I was actually thinking solid oak, but I'll have to look into that hdf and see if anyone has used it in their build. Thanks man! Post pictures after you get that box mounted! 

20200428_152827_HDR.jpg

20200428_152835_HDR.jpg

Archived