I’m puzzled, any suggestions? Amp going into protection.

Hey everyone, I’m having an issue with my amp going into protection mode. It only does it when the engine is running. When the car is just in its accessories mode, the amp and subs beat super hard like they should.

It seems the amp stays on longer if I lower the bass to the negatives on my head unit. But I still can’t turn it up more than half way, or the amp will go into protection. This is with the gains way down and no bass boost FYI.

I’ve poked around a little bit with a multimeter and checked the power and remote wire at the amp, and the voltage seems to be right, even after it goes into protection mode, no voltage drop off or anything. That’s as far as I went with the multimeter.

I’ll try and give the best info I can on my setup.

-This is a factory radio install. 
-I’ve got 2 pioneer champion 12” DVC 4-ohm subwoofers. 1400w max (400w rms)
-Pyramid 2000w, 2-ohm stable, 2 channel bridgable amp. (Brand new amp)
-Subs are wired together to push out a 4ohm load in bridged mode
-Seems to work better on a single channel, rather than bridging it.
-Power wire to the battery (in-line 80 amp fuse), negative is grounded tight on paint free surface, both wires are 4 gauge
-Remote wire running off a fuse in the engine bay using a fuse tap, I’ve also put a in-line 10 amp fuse for safety just in case. (factory head unit, cant run remote to it)
-Using a kicker line output converter, tapped into both left and right back speakers, grounded as well.

If anyone can maybe piece this together, and has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

I personally feel like it maybe an ohms issue somewhere???? Not sure how or what to look for using the multimeter when it comes to the ohms(where to test or what numbers I should be looking for). Thinking about maybe running each sub to its own channel too see if maybe this helps🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m just so confused as to why it works great with the car off, but not on🤔

ive also included a photo of the wiring I’m using

C46F9E1C-9C39-4647-B045-BB8530AA7660.jpeg

• 8 months later...

you say line out converter. Is it putting out more voltage than the amplifier can recognize? like 8 v Signal out to a max 6 volt amplifier in? I have not seen this put an amplifier into protect, normally it clips from what i have observed. Maybe too high impedance after box rise? Again i have not seen an amplifier protect from to high resistance but it could be?

have you opened up the amp to make sure there is not some blown mosfets or other component causing the issue?

Pyramid is not know for their amazing quality stuff (my first car amplifer was a pyramid. said 1000 watts on the box but actually 50 watts rms in the manual).

Archived