Second Skin Audio

Fi NEO BTL 12 Enclosure/ Port Area

Hey Everybody,

I’m gearing up to build a box for a BTL Neo 12 and was looking for some advice on port area. The box will be 2.3-2.5ft3 after displacement and tuned around 32-34HZ. The sub will be powered by an IA 20.1 and from my understanding, a sub with a high motor force will benefit from a larger port area. I was going to start with a single 6” aero and adjust from there, but I am open to any suggestions and input!!

To calculate an aero ports area you do radius squared time pi. A 6” aero is not enough port area. That’s like a little more than 28 sq” or port area which is no where near enough. For that subwoofer you need an 8” port which is a little more than 50 sq” of port area. And make the enclosure 3 cubic feet after displacements. It’s best to go about 10-20% bigger than recommended to get the best output possible for spl. Most people that compete with a regular ported enclosure go 10-20% bigger to get bigger numbers. If you want regular bass then go with a regular size enclosure on a 6” aero port. But if you want big bass then go with a big enclosure with an 8” aero port. That subwoofer can move a lot of air. Don’t hold it back. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

And even with a 6” aero port on a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 32-34hz the aero port is gonna be more than 20”. On an 8” it’s gonna be around 30” on a 3 cubic foot enclosure. So either way, it’s gonna stick out so it doesn’t get in the way or be too close to a wall. So don’t worry about having it stick out. A lot of people do that. But to be real with you, I wouldn’t do an aero port on that subwoofer. No way. The port velocity would be really low. More musical, but less spl. I would do a regular slot port so I can get full output out of that subwoofer because i could tweak the port better and move more air. You’re half steppin by wanting to do an aero port on a subwoofer than wants more volume and more port area so it can excel like intended. I can design you a enclosure. No port noise while moving a lot of air and still maintaining a good sound quality. It’s not hard to build a regular slot port enclosure. If you can build an aero port enclosure, you can build a slot port enclosure. Don’t let it seem harder, because it’s not. Don’t go half way on this build when you can go all the way with it. 

8 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

And even with a 6” aero port on a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 32-34hz the aero port is gonna be more than 20”. On an 8” it’s gonna be around 30” on a 3 cubic foot enclosure. So either way, it’s gonna stick out so it doesn’t get in the way or be too close to a wall. So don’t worry about having it stick out. A lot of people do that. But to be real with you, I wouldn’t do an aero port on that subwoofer. No way. The port velocity would be really low. More musical, but less spl. I would do a regular slot port so I can get full output out of that subwoofer because i could tweak the port better and move more air. You’re half steppin by wanting to do an aero port on a subwoofer than wants more volume and more port area so it can excel like intended. I can design you a enclosure. No port noise while moving a lot of air and still maintaining a good sound quality. It’s not hard to build a regular slot port enclosure. If you can build an aero port enclosure, you can build a slot port enclosure. Don’t let it seem harder, because it’s not. Don’t go half way on this build when you can go all the way with it. 

Design would be helpful. The original reason to go with an aero port is for a. Outlet reasons. It is going into a smaller trunk (2015 TLX) of which I’m trying to save some usable space as well as it is going to be sealed from the trunk facing forward and I want to incorporate a plexiglass back. Having a slot port would pretty much make it impossible to see the motor from the trunk. Also, the trunk opening in the cabin is also an oval shape, which would block a part of the port if it were a slot pushed to one side. So that’s why I was thinking aero. But I do want a lot of output from this setup, I am just trying to save some weight with a single sub of the Neo variety.

2 hours ago, Jacob.Hansen said:

Design would be helpful. The original reason to go with an aero port is for a. Outlet reasons. It is going into a smaller trunk (2015 TLX) of which I’m trying to save some usable space as well as it is going to be sealed from the trunk facing forward and I want to incorporate a plexiglass back. Having a slot port would pretty much make it impossible to see the motor from the trunk. Also, the trunk opening in the cabin is also an oval shape, which would block a part of the port if it were a slot pushed to one side. So that’s why I was thinking aero. But I do want a lot of output from this setup, I am just trying to save some weight with a single sub of the Neo variety.

I wouldn’t do that. No ideal. Do you car more about sound or being able to see the subwoofers motor? I’ll design you an enclosure. Post the measurements of your trunk, even height. 

27 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I wouldn’t do that. No ideal. Do you car more about sound or being able to see the subwoofers motor? I’ll design you an enclosure. Post the measurements of your trunk, even height. 

Dimensions I wanted to stay around are 28w 14t 16d. Gross volume of that is 3.63ft3. Only dimension that is adjustable is depth. I can spare another 4in of depth. That would be 4.5ft3 

Thank you for the input man.

10 minutes ago, Jacob.Hansen said:

Dimensions I wanted to stay around are 28w 14t 16d. Gross volume of that is 3.63ft3. Only dimension that is adjustable is depth. I can spare another 4in of depth. That would be 4.5ft3 

Thank you for the input man.

Now I see what you were talking about. Let me see what I can shake. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived