Second Skin Audio

2x RE Audio Triple X 15" Enclosure

image91

Not sure if anyone can pitch in on this but according to this page:

https://reaudio.com/products/woofers_xxx.php

The recommended enclosure is around 4.816 ft^3 net, 6.0 ft^3 gross, tuned to 27.5 Hz, 20 inch^2 of port, 10" long. 

In numerous posts/forums around the net I'm seeing people saying the recommended specs or the specs they are using are considerably larger than this. Is this a legitimate spec for two of these 15s & is it reasonable to go with this VS a much larger alternative? 

I have around 7.8 ft^3 gross available in my vehicle. Using around 5000wrms. Looking for output down to my subsonic @ 25Hz & a roll off after 40 Hz. If I can obtain more of my output between 28-36 Hz would be ideal. Doesn't necessarily have to be a large peak, prefer more of a flatter response. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some advice today to go with a mono-chamber around 5.5 ft^3 net, 60 in^2 of port tuned to 27 Hz. Does anyone have any experience with these subs & can chime in?

Worste-case i'll block the ports & run these sealed.

It doesn’t need to be tuned that low to have a bandwidth that would play 25hz frequencies. Plus the f3 (around 27hz on that subwoofer) isn’t what the enclosure is suppose to be tuned to. The fb is what the enclosure is suppose to be tuned to, which is around 30hz. Plus that port area that was recommended to you isn’t enough and would restrict air flow and minimize output. The port area doesn’t have to be that small to achieve good bandwidth. If you are looking for spl then do 16-17 square inches of port area per cubic foot. If you are looking for a wider bandwidth then do 12-13 square inches of port area per cubic. Personally on them subwoofers and what I feel like you are looking for out of them subwoofers, I would do 14 square inches of port area per cubic foot. So about 5.5 cubes with around 77 square inches of port area tuned to 32hz or 30hz. But 32hz is better because it can play “mid” 20hz and play higher frequencies than 30hz. 32hz would play the same lower frequencies as 30hz but 32hz would play higher frequencies than 30hz. Anything below 20hz doesn’t matter because a human can’t hear it anyways. So 32hz is an optimal tuning frequency outside of competing.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• 4 months later...

Ended up fitting 6.0 ft^3 net, 80 in^2 port area, tuned to 30. Lacking the low end of course. Crossed low to accentuate the 30s, flatten the response a bit. Trying to fit at least 8.0 net, 100 in^2 port area tuned to 30. Gonna be a task though. 

And I thought you were just doing one xxx 15. That’s why I said 5.5 cubes. I just seen that it’s 2 xxx 15s. My bad bro. On 2, you would need at least 8 cubes net or as close as you can get and I’m liking the port sizing. Musical ports. But if you can’t squeeze at least 8 cubes then you are gonna have to make the port bigger than that per cube, at least 15-16sq” per. Question though, off topic, what’s the biggest amp you put on your deaf bonce db-sa412?

I had an AAK-5500.1 on it

I'm wondering if I would benefit from net volume or port area? Not sure if I'm having compression issues & losing output at the moment. The low end is definitely not what I am looking for. 

Still very tempted to try one in an ideal-sized enclosure but that's a huge cut in cone area of course. 

That’s what I meant. The port sizing you calculated was fine but the net volume wasn’t. Talking about the 6 cubic feet being too small but 100sq” of port area is ok. Meaning 8 cubic foot on around 100sq” of port would be good. I guess I said that wrong and you misunderstood. My bad. But on 8 cubic foot on them subwoofers I would do anywhere from 100-115sq” of port area.

• 2 months later...

What would be more recommended between going with 9 ft^3 net using 100 in^2 port area tuned to 28 Hz, & going 8 ft^3 net using 110 in^2 port area tuned to 28Hz? Some in-between (8.5/105/28) is also an option. Any feedback is appreciated.

Archived