How Many Miles Do You Have On Your Vehicle

462,708.7 in a 65 Ford Mustang

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

did you buy this brand new? i dont see how it can still have the factory clutch.

I bought the Tercel from the original owner in 2000, when it had 180-something thousand miles. She had absolutely nothing done to the car, to the point that it was still running the original plugs, cap, rotor, wires, hoses, and all but one belt. She had gas and oil change receipts from day one, but obviously didn't believe in spending any money on repairs. She didn't even have the last set of tires she bought balanced. I talked to the mechanic she used, and he agreed that the clutch was original.

When I bought the car, it had a dead miss, and I figured it'd need at least a valve job. When I changed the plugs, the one in the #2 cylinder was completely bridged with carbon. I swapped them, replaced a headlight and the wiper blades, and drove the car from North Carolina to Arkansas the next day. I kept the oil crutched with a can of STP at every oil change till I finally got around to installing new oil seals. Now it uses about a quart and a half every 5k miles.

The original front brake pads went 200k before they wore out, and the rear shoes went over 300k. I've replaced the carburetor, and I replaced the CV axles a couple of times before I found a source for new (not remanufactured) replacements.

BTW, I've towed a few cars some fairly long distance on this clutch, and it's still strong. In March, my wife and I drove to New Jersey to pick up a popup camper, and a week after that I dragged an identical one home from New Jersey. 3500 miles in just over a week, half of those miles towing campers.

I've had a new Toyota clutch set sitting around waiting to be installed for several years now. I worked for a Toyota dealership for a couple of years, and asked why the clutch would have lasted that many miles. One of my techs in the shop got 400k on the original clutch in his 1991 Toyota pickup before it went out, and it would have kept going if the rear main seal hadn't started leaking. The compounds they used in the Japanese-made Toyota brakes and clutches were just that durable. That's why I run only OEM Toyota brake pads; not only do they last a ridiculously long time, but they don't leave brake dust on my wheels. I'm also a very conservative driver, and was taught from the beginning not to slip the clutch. The fact that the Tercel only had 62hp (and practically no torque) when it was new helps keep things fronm wearing out.

My Tercel was a great prop to use when I was closing new car deals in sales, all my customers wanted to see a 300k mile Toyota. When the other sales staff found out how well it was working, they'd call me out to show my car to their customers. That Tercel was the best $600 I ever spent.

a lot of that is hard to believe............

moving on

whats hard to believe?

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Archived