3-way system with coaxially mounted tweeter

mossman

I'm planning on installing a 3-way system in my vehicle and am looking for a system with the tweeter coaxially mounted in the midrange with a separate 6.5" woofer.  Is this a thing, or would I need to piece together a system (i.e purchase the midrange/tweeters, woofers, and xovers) separately?

What you are talking about is a coaxial speaker and a component speaker. The only way to get a 3 way speaker component setup is to buy a 3 way component set that comes with passive crossovers or buy the speakers and tweeters separately and go active instead of passive.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

What you are talking about is a coaxial speaker and a component speaker. The only way to get a 3 way speaker component setup is to buy a 3 way component set that comes with passive crossovers or buy the speakers and tweeters separately and go active instead of passive.

Yeah, I'm fine with that.  I have a DSP, so I can definitely go active.  Active would be preferable anyhow so I can independently set a delay for each woofer in the front door since they are not equidistant to the listening position as the tweeters.  Just sucks to fork out an extra couple hundred dollars on a 3-way system then not use the tweeters or crossover.  I'm still in the planning phase.  Maybe I'll just mount the midrange in the A pillar and the tweeter either on the dash or on the side mirror sail panel.  That's probably the best option actually.  I think I may be able to mount the midrange close enough to the tweeter so I wouldn't have to worry about delay.  If I go this route, I would use the provided passive xovers for the mids and tweets and run the woofers active so I can adjust delay.  Does this sound like a good approach?

That sounds good. Except it’s best for the tweeters to be higher than the mids. Doesn’t have to be way higher, just higher. However you can accommodate you speaker setup. To the best of your ability. Or get some custom work done.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Morel has a speaker what you are looking for.  Check out Parts Express.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

15 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That sounds good. Except it’s best for the tweeters to be higher than the mids. Doesn’t have to be way higher, just higher. However you can accommodate you speaker setup. To the best of your ability. Or get some custom work done.

Okay.  I may just mount both on the A pillar then.  If I went this route I'd put the tweeter closest to the LP then?

Archived