Need alternator suggestions

I would get the biggest alternator you can from a reputable company. I can't stress that enough, from a reputable company. Don't cheap out on the heart of your electrical system. 320 or more

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

20 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I would get the biggest alternator you can from a reputable company. I can't stress that enough, from a reputable company. Don't cheap out on the heart of your electrical system. 320 or more

320 or more!??! Is that REALLY necessary for 2000 watts?? I'm not trying to spend half a rack... Oh and what are some reputable companies ?? Can you name you name a few BESIDES Mechman please and thank you sir

3 hours ago, Anthony10111 said:

320 or more!??! Is that REALLY necessary for 2000 watts?? I'm not trying to spend half a rack... Oh and what are some reputable companies ?? Can you name you name a few BESIDES Mechman please and thank you sir

Are you ever planning on running that smart 3 to it's actual potential? No use deciding later you'd like more and then having to replace the alternator. It sucks, I know, but if you bite the bullet now, you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about later. Smooth sailing

JS, Brand X.... maybe someone else can think of more. Those 2 are what immediately come to my head

13 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Are you ever planning on running that smart 3 to it's actual potential? No use deciding later you'd like more and then having to replace the alternator. It sucks, I know, but if you bite the bullet now, you'll have absolutely nothing to worry about later. Smooth sailing

JS, Brand X.... maybe someone else can think of more. Those 2 are what immediately come to my head

This true 1000 watta is SERIOUS... I dont see myself ever wanting to put it past 2000 unless it's just to see....  So whatever will smoothly run a full 1700-2000rms is what I need.. I dont need anything better than that... 

1 minute ago, Anthony10111 said:

This true 1000 watta is SERIOUS... I dont see myself ever wanting to put it past 2000 unless it's just to see....  So whatever will smoothly run a full 1700-2000rms is what I need.. I dont need anything better than that... 

That's what they all say 🤣

Did you do the measure your output voltage and convert it to wattage thing? I wondered that about the smart 3's, if you could tune them that way. I know you can run them at .5 and because it's "smart", it will regulate its voltage intake and still give 3000ish watts, where other amps will kick more output at lower impedance. And, at 2 ohm, it'll still kick out 3000ish watts. 

I'd still say above 300 amps. That and 1 really good AGM and you should be golden at that wattage. If I say 270, I don't want you to be short and have to run 2 batteries. That can get just as expensive as dropping the extra bread on a bigger alternator. 

I don't remember, what kind of car is this in? 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Did you do the measure your output voltage and convert it to wattage thing? I wondered that about the smart 3's, if you could tune them that way. I know you can run them at .5 and because it's "smart", it will regulate its voltage intake and still give 3000ish watts, where other amps will kick more output at lower impedance. And, at 2 ohm, it'll still kick out 3000ish watts. 

I'd still say above 300 amps. That and 1 really good AGM and you should be golden at that wattage. If I say 270, I don't want you to be short and have to run 2 batteries. That can get just as expensive as dropping the extra bread on a bigger alternator. 

I'm in a 99 Chevy suburban 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Honestly I really dont see myself pushing that much.. I bump on a daily basis...This 1100-1200 true I got right now is DOING IT,, I've never heard nothing like it.. So whatever alternator will power 2000 watts smoothly is what I need... I cant be blowing eardrums hahahaha I've thought about bigger upgrades and stuff but that was before I had a REAL AMP .. I'm super good now

2 minutes ago, Anthony10111 said:

Honestly I really dont see myself pushing that much.. I bump on a daily basis...This 1100-1200 true I got right now is DOING IT,, I've never heard nothing like it.. So whatever alternator will power 2000 watts smoothly is what I need... I cant be blowing eardrums hahahaha I've thought about bigger upgrades and stuff but that was before I had a REAL AMP .. I'm super good now

I got ya. 

I had a legit 800 watts, it was loud... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 1000 watts, it was loud.... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 2600 watts, it was loud.... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 4000 watts, it was loud until it wasn't. 

I'm installing close to 10,000 watts....I can only assume 🤣

I've heard this exact thing that I did from countless bassheads. Will this happen to you, maybe not... but I'd be willing to bet it does. Especially with an older suburban, upgrades are easy (but expensive of course). Tons of room, no vehicle management systems, simple American V8, and I can tell, you like the loud music. I'd put my money on in a couple months, to a year, you'll think about upgrading. I mean to say all this with all the respect in the world, no disrespect intended. Car audio is fun! And it gets more fun the louder you get. 

That being said, the choice is up to you bud. Do me a favor, find out what your stock alternator puts out and let me know. I'm sure you can find something in the owner's manual or something. 

I think this will fit your truck. I don't know what size engine you have, check it out.  $380. Still not "inexpensive", but not half a G either

https://js-alternators.com/product/1996-2004-chevy-suburban-250-300-370amp-alternator/

31 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

I got ya. 

I had a legit 800 watts, it was loud... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 1000 watts, it was loud.... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 2600 watts, it was loud.... until it wasn't. 

I had a legit 4000 watts, it was loud until it wasn't. 

I'm installing close to 10,000 watts....I can only assume 🤣

I've heard this exact thing that I did from countless bassheads. Will this happen to you, maybe not... but I'd be willing to bet it does. Especially with an older suburban, upgrades are easy (but expensive of course). Tons of room, no vehicle management systems, simple American V8, and I can tell, you like the loud music. I'd put my money on in a couple months, to a year, you'll think about upgrading. I mean to say all this with all the respect in the world, no disrespect intended. Car audio is fun! And it gets more fun the louder you get. 

That being said, the choice is up to you bud. Do me a favor, find out what your stock alternator puts out and let me know. I'm sure you can find something in the owner's manual or something. 

I think this will fit your truck. I don't know what size engine you have, check it out.  $380. Still not "inexpensive", but not half a G either

https://js-alternators.com/product/1996-2004-chevy-suburban-250-300-370amp-alternator/

Haha I know exactly what you mean... I'm turning to a bass head... And this suburban is perfect..  But my pockets are the ones speaking right now😂😂 I probably should just go ahead and get a super nice alternator that way I have no problems with any upgrades (To an extent obviously) ... I've been trying to figure out what alternator is in here.. Its been replaced before I bought it so it might not be stock.. I'll see what the manual says stock is... I really appreciate all the help you have helped me ALOT more than you know 

Archived