More Battery Questions

What does Ah mean for car batteries and what is a good number to look for? Definition: An ampere-hour (symbol A h or A·h, sometimes abbreviated as Ah) is a unit of electric charge. One ampere-hour is equal to 3600 coulombs (ampere-seconds), and is the amount of electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere for one hour.

The reason I ask is because powermaster is going to have a new battery out soon D3400 and it will be geared toward GM side mounts and with a lot of optional connections. But the Ah is lower than the D2400 by 12 which would fit in stock location but would require a top to side mount adapter.... The D3400 will also have a lower MSRP. Here are the specs for the D3400.

D3400:: SPECS

Weight lbs. Weight kgs. Length Width Height MAX Amps Ah

47.62 21.06 10.25in 6.88in 7.05in 2000 75

i-BAR System:: integrated-Battery Amperage Rail

XS Power introduces the first fully integrated, completely modular battery amperage management system. The i-BAR

system allows one battery design to be transformed into a perfect fit for a number of applications. The system allows

for SAE posts which fit many domestic and import vehicles, standard GM side posts or the combination of both. For

marine applications 3/8 and 5/16 studs can be fitted, or the popular combination SAE posts and 5/16 studs. Now for

the first time a battery can be configured with (4) SAE top posts in conjunction with GM side posts. This allows standard

GM electrical connections that car audio enthusiasts can use to directly distribute power from the batteries connections.

The i-BAR rails feature a unique design that locks them into the battery’s case relieving stress on the cables, and side

connections. The i-BAR locking feature is exclusive to XS Power, and not offered with other AGM side terminal designs.

Specs subject to change.

Rebuild coming soon

discharge rate

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

The amp hour is probably the most important piece of info on any battery older than voltage of course. AH provides an indication of how long a battery of fixed voltage will be able to supply a particular current. Like the D3400 has a 75 AH rating and that's probably over 20 hours. So ideally the D3400 should power something pulling 75A for 20 hours if it has no alternator hooked to it.

Member since 25 Jun 2006

2011 Yukon DenaliCustomLightz 4300K HID RetrofitEsky TailsEsky Third BrakeEsky 22sEsky Appliques

The amp hour is probably the most important piece of info on any battery older than voltage of course. AH provides an indication of how long a battery of fixed voltage will be able to supply a particular current. Like the D3400 has a 75 AH rating and that's probably over 20 hours. So ideally the D3400 should power something pulling 75A for 20 hours if it has no alternator hooked to it.

Thank you thats what I was looking for. Is 20 hours a general rule?

Rebuild coming soon

Thank you thats what I was looking for. Is 20 hours a general rule?

Now that I'm not sure of but I figured since all the other Powermaster batteries are rated for 20 hrs then they'll probably do the same with the D3400. I was going to wait for this battery to come out but I went ahead and made the D3100 fit under the hood. D3400 would have been perfect for my expo since I had a Group 34 Optima under the hood.

Member since 25 Jun 2006

2011 Yukon DenaliCustomLightz 4300K HID RetrofitEsky TailsEsky Third BrakeEsky 22sEsky Appliques

Talking with Scottie at Powermaster, both will be rated at about the same .. 2500 watts primary and 4000 watts as a supplemental battery near the amps. . So, I think it's really a choice of fitment over anything else. I have a D5100R and it fits perfect. I will ad whatever I need to in the back as time goes on and I add power. I just love the fact that my factory brackets and heat sheilds fit like a glove. And, I didn't have to modify my wires as the R is for reverse polarity like my Element needed.

Other brands just suggest velcro and large wire ties or wood blocks to make their batteries fit. I feel confident that my battery is staying put.

Archived