Sonic Electronix

2 no name 15 inch subs or 2 Skar EVL-12s?

Hi all! I have 2 subs that have no name I got for free on craigslist. I am guessing they are around 150 watts each. The box I had them in was tuned to around 42 hz. I am selling them to save up for the Skar Audio loaded enclosure with 2 1,250 watt EVL 12s, which is tuned to 32 HZ. I mainly listen to hip hop/rap, and when lows come around on my 15s, there is little to no sound. Would I be sacrificing sound for better quality with this purchase, or do you think the 12s will be better all around? I am on a budget, which is why I am using Skar Audio.

This is a tough one to answer, even though my gut tells me the Skar 12s would be better. That being said, you didn't give us a ton of info about your older (or current?) setup. You may have a box that is just really bad for those subs. I would venture to say if you are listening to low stuff you won't be happy with a box tuned to 42hz. It may not just be a matter of tuning though, you can have an incorrectly sized box and/or significantly undersized port that will kill performance. 

It would be super helpful if you could give out some specs on your enclosure and some pics of the subs to maybe help identify them. You probably won't get a definitive answer to which set up will be better, especially since better is so subjective. The best that can probably be done is we can help come up with a list of each setup's strengths and weaknesses to help you make a decision. Or we figure out those 15s are total shit subs and the Skar subs will just be better.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

45 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

This is a tough one to answer, even though my gut tells me the Skar 12s would be better. That being said, you didn't give us a ton of info about your older (or current?) setup. You may have a box that is just really bad for those subs. I would venture to say if you are listening to low stuff you won't be happy with a box tuned to 42hz. It may not just be a matter of tuning though, you can have an incorrectly sized box and/or significantly undersized port that will kill performance. 

It would be super helpful if you could give out some specs on your enclosure and some pics of the subs to maybe help identify them. You probably won't get a definitive answer to which set up will be better, especially since better is so subjective. The best that can probably be done is we can help come up with a list of each setup's strengths and weaknesses to help you make a decision. Or we figure out those 15s are total shit subs and the Skar subs will just be better.

My thoughts exactly! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived