Sonic Electronix

what would you get with this amp to hit loud and low

The  Sundown Zv5's are a popular pick.  The Zv5 18 looks like a pretty good fit for your application.  It calls for 7 cubes and should be a decent match for the Taramps 3k amp.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Arthur79 said:

The  Sundown Zv5's are a popular pick.  The Zv5 18 looks like a pretty good fit for your application.  It calls for 7 cubes and should be a decent match for the Taramps 3k amp.

Thats a little over what i want to spend i was looking to keep it at 800 for an 18 .

If you could squeeze another cube out of somewhere, you could look at a pair of the Skar ZVX-15v2s, I know that's another sub that comes up in the forum fairly often.  You could get 2 of them shipped for a little under $800 (maybe a little more if you get hit for taxes) but they need 4 cubes each (plus sub/bracing/port displacement)

A pair of CT Sounds Meso 15s could work, they call for 3 cubes each and 2 of them would put you in the 3k RMS power handling range.

The DC Audio XL 18 is under 800 but it's rated at 2200 watts RMS / 4400 peak.  You would probably want to dial the amp back a little to keep from over driving it.

17 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

If you could squeeze another cube out of somewhere, you could look at a pair of the Skar ZVX-15v2s, I know that's another sub that comes up in the forum fairly often.  You could get 2 of them shipped for a little under $800 (maybe a little more if you get hit for taxes) but they need 4 cubes each (plus sub/bracing/port displacement)

A pair of CT Sounds Meso 15s could work, they call for 3 cubes each and 2 of them would put you in the 3k RMS power handling range.

The DC Audio XL 18 is under 800 but it's rated at 2200 watts RMS / 4400 peak.  You would probably want to dial the amp back a little to keep from over driving it.

under wattage is ok.  so far 18 wise i was looking at a american bass hd 18 crossfire c7 18 and skar zvx 18 v2

Just now, stingray72 said:

under wattage is ok.  so far 18 wise i was looking at a american bass hd 18 crossfire c7 18 and skar zvx 18 v2

I didn't even think about American Bass, I've heard a few build with some American Bass 15s and they sounded good.  I've not heard the Crossfires, but they definitely look sexy.

I a lot of people talk about the ZVX 18s here and nothing negative stands out based on what I've read.  I've had some less than ideal experiences with Skar, but that was years ago with their MA and VD subs.  I had issues with a few RP-2000.1 amps overheating and going into protect (even in an amp rack with active cooling) but again that was several years ago and at the time, a lot of people were talking about those amps having QC issues.  I'm sure they have it sorted out by now just given how popular they are.

I like the retro look of the American Bass subs, but those Crossfires would look really good in a box with some plexi or if you mounted them a$$ out.  

28 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

I didn't even think about American Bass, I've heard a few build with some American Bass 15s and they sounded good.  I've not heard the Crossfires, but they definitely look sexy.

I a lot of people talk about the ZVX 18s here and nothing negative stands out based on what I've read.  I've had some less than ideal experiences with Skar, but that was years ago with their MA and VD subs.  I had issues with a few RP-2000.1 amps overheating and going into protect (even in an amp rack with active cooling) but again that was several years ago and at the time, a lot of people were talking about those amps having QC issues.  I'm sure they have it sorted out by now just given how popular they are.

I like the retro look of the American Bass subs, but those Crossfires would look really good in a box with some plexi or if you mounted them a$$ out.  

The crossfire 18 has a plus 1.5 db advantage over the skar zvx 18 v2. The american bass hd 18 is like 1 db behind the crossfire down low and more in the 40 hz range where my car would probably peak spl wise.

The American bass is rated for an additional 400 watts, but I'm not sure 400 watts would make up the difference over the Crossfire.  Unfortunately I don't have a frame of reference for if either sub is "under rated" in terms of power handling.  The crossfire sub looks over-built and like it might not have a fit if you over-drove it by 400-500 watts, but again, I have no frame of reference and it would suck to no end if you cooked it by over driving it.  Looks like the ZVX-18 has the same power rating as the Crossfire, but it is the cheapest out of the 3 (at least based on my quick googling)

1 minute ago, Arthur79 said:

The American bass is rated for an additional 400 watts, but I'm not sure 400 watts would make up the difference over the Crossfire.  Unfortunately I don't have a frame of reference for if either sub is "under rated" in terms of power handling.  The crossfire sub looks over-built and like it might not have a fit if you over-drove it by 400-500 watts, but again, I have no frame of reference and it would suck to no end if you cooked it by over driving it.  Looks like the ZVX-18 has the same power rating as the Crossfire, but it is the cheapest out of the 3 (at least based on my quick googling)

The american bass hd 18 i can get for 319 and the skar is 409 and the crossfire c7 18 v3 is 519.  I want to hit as high in the 140 db's as possible.  I do have a termlab spl metter to find out what it hits after its built.  And ill have an 8 inch adjustable port too.

Damn, with that American Bass coming in at just under $320 and the Crossfire being the most expensive, that's a tough one.

I found this on YouTube: 

Archived