Series/parallel wiring

38 minutes ago, DallasBass91 said:

I have 2 subwoofers both are dual 4’s, if I wire 1 subwoofer in series for 8ohm and the other in parallel for 2 ohm can I then parallel them at the amp? What would my ohm load be?

im trying to get the final impedance as close to 2 ohms as possible 

If I understand what a friend told me a while ago correctly, even though it'll be a final load of 2 ohm, the subwoofer that's wired lower will still hog most of the wattage, making your subs stay to fight each other basically. 

But if I understood him wrong, I hope someone corrects me. 

Here's an idea, if you have the room and can build a new box. But another d4 sub and run 3. It might split up the wattage a little more, but in my experience at least, 3 2000 watt 12's in the right enclosure are usually louder that 2 3000 watt 12's. It all depends on the enclosure though. If the enclosure isn't right, they'll sound like crap regardless. Just a thought...

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

If I understand what a friend told me a while ago correctly, even though it'll be a final load of 2 ohm, the subwoofer that's wired lower will still hog most of the wattage, making your subs stay to fight each other basically. 

But if I understood him wrong, I hope someone corrects me. 

Here's an idea, if you have the room and can build a new box. But another d4 sub and run 3. It might split up the wattage a little more, but in my experience at least, 3 2000 watt 12's in the right enclosure are usually louder that 2 3000 watt 12's. It all depends on the enclosure though. If the enclosure isn't right, they'll sound like crap regardless. Just a thought...

Thanks for the reply, I don’t have enough space for another sub, I’m running 2 18’s in a Nissan Altima wall 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

Archived