Sonic Electronix

Help! Any idea why my headunit preouts aren’t working?

Help! Any ideas why the preouts on my HU aren't working?

I just threw a 5 channel amp in my pontoon boat which has a pretty basic setup, its a Kicker KMC1 headunit, and 4 kicker speakers. I snipped the speaker leads in my KMC1 and then I ran the speakers directly to the amp.  I then did what should be the easiest part and ran RCAs from the kicker HU to the amp..Nothing..Silence, I know the amp works because it also has a PA mic and that works fine, and when you tap the rcas on the rca ports on the amp you can hear the speakers make a little thud. So I'm thinking maybe the preouts on the kicker HU are either not enabled or not working?

Looking at the owners manual, it doesn't seem like there's any special setting you have to select or anything to use the RCA outputs coming out of the side of the unit. There are a lot of auxiliary in inputs at the bottom of the unit, but that shouldn't make a difference. As long as the unit turns on and the amplifier turns on and doesn't go into protect, the only thing I can think of is either the RCA outputs don't work on the source unit, the RCA ins on the amplifier don't work (I don't know how that PA function works), or the RCA's are bad themselves. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived