I picked up a pair of these bench power supplies for the shop:

SPS-100.4.thumb.jpg.eeb59494436acf044ec129ed49c3c948.jpg

Each one can do 100 amps at between 10-16v and you can daisy up to 4 of them together for 400 amps.

The DATS v3 I back-ordered some time back also came in:

DATSv3.thumb.jpg.e5046afe9e769cd18ba13333da1037cf.jpg

I know the IM-SG+ can do the same things as the DATS v3, but the DATS makes is so damned easy.  The software does all the maths for me making taking the measurements a bit more idiot-proof (which can be handy for me LoL)

I've built janky unregulated 12v supplies in the past (using old microwave transformers etc) and any time I've done that, I used cheap 1 or 2 farad caps to smooth them out and buffered them with an AGM battery.

I've been wondering whether I should "buffer" these high output bench supplies with a big AGM or skip that step (and expense) and just drive loads straight off the supplies.  What do you guys think?

16 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

I picked up a pair of these bench power supplies for the shop:

SPS-100.4.thumb.jpg.eeb59494436acf044ec129ed49c3c948.jpg

Each one can do 100 amps at between 10-16v and you can daisy up to 4 of them together for 400 amps.

The DATS v3 I back-ordered some time back also came in:

DATSv3.thumb.jpg.e5046afe9e769cd18ba13333da1037cf.jpg

I know the IM-SG+ can do the same things as the DATS v3, but the DATS makes is so damned easy.  The software does all the maths for me making taking the measurements a bit more idiot-proof (which can be handy for me LoL)

I've built janky unregulated 12v supplies in the past (using old microwave transformers etc) and any time I've done that, I used cheap 1 or 2 farad caps to smooth them out and buffered them with an AGM battery.

I've been wondering whether I should "buffer" these high output bench supplies with a big AGM or skip that step (and expense) and just drive loads straight off the supplies.  What do you guys think?

Sweet toys! Once you get them all setup, you gotta give us a little tour and a demo! 

I would think to use the battery for a buffer and storage. I've never built a test bench though, but I'm thinking big power supply=alternator, battery=extra storage/ buffer for supply spikes. In other words, protecting the amplifiers I guess. I don't know. 

Would it be cheaper and/ or better to maybe build your own lithium bank instead of using an AGM?

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Sweet toys! Once you get them all setup, you gotta give us a little tour and a demo! 

I would think to use the battery for a buffer and storage. I've never built a test bench though, but I'm thinking big power supply=alternator, battery=extra storage/ buffer for supply spikes. In other words, protecting the amplifiers I guess. I don't know. 

Would it be cheaper and/ or better to maybe build your own lithium bank instead of using an AGM?

I was thinking about Lithium or maybe even a bank of super caps.  I need to sit down and figure out how much each would cost making sure I size them for 4 of these (400a) that way if I need to expand I haven't painted myself into an even more expensive corner.  I'm going to have to run a new 20a 110v outlet for each of the supplies and I'm running out of space and power in my box.  The whole shop space only has a 100 amp single phase 220 service and I feel like I'm getting to where I'm going to have to make sure I don't have too much running at once LoL.  Once I get them in and maybe finally get the shop more or less "finished" I'll shoot a video and upload it 😁

Archived