Second Skin Audio

6th vs 4th in blowthrough setup (edit- JK, 4th it is)

Nova

Edit- Upon further reading it appears I have nowhere NEAR the space I'd need for a 6th. Guess I'm going 4th. 😂

Currently have 3 JSS 6.5's in a Crew Cab behind the seat build but it's just not cutting it. I have a Salt 6k for the new setup but no subs as of yet. I'm probably going with 2 15" JSS 400 or 600's. Space for the box is 32" D x 18" H x 64" W so roughly 15 cubes give or take after displacement, bracing, etc. Would I have enough room for a 6th order or only a 4th? Anyone have experience with both have some input? I've had a 4th order with 4 15's in a previous truck about 10 years ago but I was banging on a budget with some kicker comps. 😂 I have zero experience with a 6th so been trying to read what I can but can't find much as far as ratio's for a 6th.

Current setup pics for fun.

0hdsiNPh.jpg

fMdud2Gh.jpg

Thanks,

Nova

stop making sense you'll kill the argument.

Earth, you feel me?

You aren't loud enough to be felt.

• Nova changed the title to 6th vs 4th in blowthrough setup (edit- JK, 4th it is)

As far as 6th orders go, series 6ths

are difficult and picky! I'm learning that now lol. The back port effects the front, and vice versa, along with this, that and the other thing.... my advice with a 6th order is model it on the best computer software you have, and just go with it. My 6th is 2.2:1 ratio with the rear port being tuned to about 24.75 and the front being close to 50.5 hz. No idea how those numbers came about. I paid someone to design it (he said he had to use 3 different modeling programs), and I'm building it lol.

Regular 6th order band passes I've seen anywhere from 1:1 (after displacement) to 2.5:1. Not saying that's the only way to do it, just, the couple I've seen, that's what they've been. 

4th orders are simpler and less likely to have to be rebuilt. Usually guys go with a 2:1, 2.5:1, or sometimes 3:1. With the port usually tuned around 45 hz. 

Sorry though, I have no idea about actual dimensions. Hopefully someone with a box designing background can comment on that one. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

My 6th was designed by audio dynamics for 2 15s on 3k rms. and is roughly 9 cubs after displacement. It is a 1.2 to 1. And similar to Dafaseles the inner port is 27hz and rear is 62 or 63hz, have to recheck. So you got the room, just depends what you want to do. I have also been told the closer the ratio is on a 6th the more cone control. Not too sure if thats correct, but came from a few peeps i know that have been in car audio since the 90s. 

I'll dive through that thread! Thanks for the replies guys. Just needing more and if I'm cutting holes in my shit it better slam. 😂 Operation "Devalued Duramax" will definitely be getting a build thread on here. I'm talking with the guy that builds my boxes and he's suggesting a 4th for my setup as I'd like to keep the blow through section as small as I can. He said with a 6th I'll need quite a bigger cutout for the port so he's suggesting going with the 4th for that reason. Will still be reading that topic to gain a little knowledge on it. If anyone has suggestions for possible ways to deaden the sound at the cut I'm all ears. My last blowthrough was through the window with a shell. I'm thinking some spray foam between the port and boot?

Thanks again!

stop making sense you'll kill the argument.

Earth, you feel me?

You aren't loud enough to be felt.

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'll dive through that thread! Thanks for the replies guys. Just needing more and if I'm cutting holes in my shit it better slam. 😂 Operation "Devalued Duramax" will definitely be getting a build thread on here. I'm talking with the guy that builds my boxes and he's suggesting a 4th for my setup as I'd like to keep the blow through section as small as I can. He said with a 6th I'll need quite a bigger cutout for the port so he's suggesting going with the 4th for that reason. Will still be reading that topic to gain a little knowledge on it. If anyone has suggestions for possible ways to deaden the sound at the cut I'm all ears. My last blowthrough was through the window with a shell. I'm thinking some spray foam between the port and boot?

Thanks again!

Yeah, dude is absolutely right. My port into my cab is going to be about 16.5"×23.5". A fourth order will definitely have a smaller port. 

Can't wait to see the build log! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived