Battery Explaination For A Friend

Ok so my friend, Bret, does not believe me that he needs some sort of battery for his car. Hes got a 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.0L

His audio...

SPL FXI-4000

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9462_SPL+FX1-4000D.html

FI BL 12" fully loaded dual 2 run to 1ohm

Stock electrical

amp wires with 4 gauge

I have been telling him that he needs a new battery since he got his system installed like three weeks ago. So he purchased a Kinetik 1400. Tried to put it in, wouldnt fit. His father came out and we just hooked up the batter with jumpers to see what happened. Car started and he turned his system on, then his dad unhooked the jumpers and just let the alt run for like 10 seconds and wont listen to me when I tell them that he needs a nice battery to store voltage.

So can someone please write a nice detailed reason as to why my friend should upgrade at least his battery.

Look at our long list of answers under our section. This has alot of good info on the subject.

It can take days to fully charge a vehicle battery with the stock alternator if it has become discharged. The vehicle load may be more that 50% of the alternator's capacity to begin with, and short trips with multiple cranking cycles reduces the net charge even more.

Or he can put the kinetic in the back and run both even better!!!

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

let him rock on it for a while then u can say "told you so" when his alt craps out. Have him turn on his lights at night and crank that system, if he notices dimming then it should click that he has a problem. Some people will never listen until they have something go wrong to prove they should have taken your advise. Show him the calculator on Kinetik's site, it will show plain as day that he needs some storage capacity.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Ok so my friend, Bret, does not believe me that he needs some sort of battery for his car. Hes got a 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.0L

His father came out and we just hooked up the batter with jumpers to see what happened. Car started and he turned his system on, then his dad unhooked the jumpers and just let the alt run for like 10 seconds and wont listen to me when I tell them that he needs a nice battery to store voltage.

So can someone please write a nice detailed reason as to why my friend should upgrade at least his battery.

He will be upgrading a whole bunch of stuff if he keeps doing crap like that. Things like the powertrain control module, etc.

NEVER disconnect the battery and try to run on the alternator alone. You can toast an entire electrical system that way. Many alternator systems need the battery reference voltage for proper operation. Some alternators can produce in excess of 100 volts if allowed to "run away".

Disconnecting a battery on a running vehicle is not any kind of alternator test, or battery test. You got lucky.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived