Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, 

New to this forum, have loved bass for many years but always got a cheap sub with prefab box and called it good. Recently purchased a Skar VXF 12" sub and want to build a box for it. Here's my question. As long as the box has the recommended for desired cubic feet does the shape matter? I have a 03 Silverado, and the back seat is a bench seat. I was thinking of how I can fit this without having the seat folded up or the sub sitting on the seat. I was thinking of making the box in an L shape  to sit in the middle of the bench and wrap under the seat to hopefully reach desired box size. If I need to attach a photo of my idea let me know. Also if anyone can help me with winsid or any other box program id appreciate it.

-Blake

Some weird bends and corners don't effect sound and efficiency as much as others do. Going under your seat, I would say that would effect it. It's a lot harder for the air to get under there, making that part of the box almost useless. (If I'm picturing what your describing correctly) 

What I would do is actually place the sub facing up between the bench and the center console, then build the box to extend under the seat. Like a T. Maybe you could port it to one side, or have it sealed. (You also only want your port to have a maximum of 1 bend)

Or, center console build, sub facing the rear would be cool too 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

You know, i have no idea. I downloaded winisd to try and figure this out. and watched a few YouTube videos I don't even know where to start. Ill snap a pic of the specs and maybe you can give me some pointers? I would prefer a sealed box. Looking for more punch vs loud distorting sound

info.PNG

specs.PNG

I'm by no means a box designer. I'm only going off information I've read from actual box designers. That being said, I can give you my opinion if you'd like. Hopefully someone who actual designs enclosures can chime in. 

What amplifier are you using? 

I'm using the Skar db1500. its a 1500 watt amp. with peak power of 2300 watts. I thought about tearing center console out and making one out of wood. (union carpenter). Wouldn't be hard for me to build that i don't think. And then have the sub fire towards the rear

17 minutes ago, molly4lyfe said:

I'm using the Skar db1500. its a 1500 watt amp. with peak power of 2300 watts. I thought about tearing center console out and making one out of wood. (union carpenter). Wouldn't be hard for me to build that i don't think. And then have the sub fire towards the rear

Personality, that's what I would do. That would look the absolute best! I've seen a couple pictures of console builds like that and they look good in my opinion. 

Sealed with that sub and that amp, knowing that you'd like a more punchy sound, maybe go with 1.25 cubes. Smaller boxes tend to play more "punchy" while bigger boxes tend to play more smooth and low. 

Archived