help with fuse sizes at battery and in distribution block

All, I am helping my son with an install. We will use several pieces of equipment that are in my left over from things I previously ran.

For amps, he will run two Polk Audio PA D2000.02. Each amp is rated for 125 x 2 at 4ohm and 400 x1 4 ohm bridged. Each amp has dual 25 amps internal fuses. I will run 1/0 from the battery to a Streetwires CBR 44a agu combo fuse and ground block. Each amp will receive 4 AWG from the fuse blocks. All wire is OFC. I know the wire is possibly overkill, but we already had it on hand to use.

My question is what fuse would I run at the fuse holder near the battery and then which fuses would I run in the distribution block for both amps?

As close as you can to the battery, use a 300-350 amp fuse. Probably, for those 2 amps, it would be a good idea just to use a 300. Most quality 1/0 OFC is rated around 350 amps. So you will be fusing to protect the wire from overloading. 

When you reduce from the 1/0 to the 4 awg, it's a good practice to fuse for the reduction as well, to protect the 4 awg from possible overloading. You're amplifiers are already internally fused, so you don't need to fuse to protect the amplifiers. Just the wire itself. 

Those amplifiers aren't supposed to pull more than 50 amps each, so to protect the 4 awg, you would be perfectly safe using a 50 or 75 amp fuse per run. 

You already have a fused distribution block for the reduction, but if you choose for some reason not to use it (I'm not recommending that, just stating for the sake of argument) you would then fuse the 1/0 at the battery to protect the 4 awg. So then a single 100 amp fuse would work. You wouldn't overload the 1/0, or the 4 awg. 

Hope that helps

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived