DD1 testing HU through amp - no signal/40hz but distortion turns on

Tried to find my specific issue via forums and google but no dice.

If I test my headunit (Pioneer 80PRS) for distortion via rcas everything works as expected and I end up with vol 57/60 showing clean.

I tried testing via the alternate method, through the amp and I can't get a signal or 40hz light but the distortion light does come on at vol 53/60. I've reread the manual and triple checked all settings, xover, filter etc. I cannot get a signal or 40hz light with the gain of the amp all the way down as the manual suggests. As soon as I turn the gain up at all the signal and 40hz turn on.

Should I just go with the headunit only method and ignore the results I'm getting through the amp? Any idea why it doesn't work through the amp as the manual recommends?

Thanks

• 2004 Tahoe Z71
  • Pioneer 80PRS
  • Taramps Smart 5
  • Sundown Xv3 15" (2)
  • Mechman 320a
  • XS Power D3400 (2)
  • KnuKonceptz wire and RCAs
  • Slam Panda knob (RJ45 model)

2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

Tried to find my specific issue via forums and google but no dice.

If I test my headunit (Pioneer 80PRS) for distortion via rcas everything works as expected and I end up with vol 57/60 showing clean.

I tried testing via the alternate method, through the amp and I can't get a signal or 40hz light but the distortion light does come on at vol 53/60. I've reread the manual and triple checked all settings, xover, filter etc. I cannot get a signal or 40hz light with the gain of the amp all the way down as the manual suggests. As soon as I turn the gain up at all the signal and 40hz turn on.

Should I just go with the headunit only method and ignore the results I'm getting through the amp? Any idea why it doesn't work through the amp as the manual recommends?

Thanks

I ran into this same problem. I just crack the gain a little bit to get the signal light. It seems to still work as expected

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out!