Sonic Electronix

Amplifier troubles, completely lost at this point

I’m having system troubles lately, specifically with amps. So first here’s an electrical rundown:

Factory Ford 200A Police Alternator (120A idle)[Fused 200A], Standard Lead Acid Group 65, KnuConceptz 1/0 OFC: Big 3, Amp Hot and Ground, Stinger VM wired at amp. 

Initial setup I was pushing 2 SA12 Classics on an Skar RP1500 at 1ohm -7db overlap. This amp was great and actually pushed a pair of SDR12s and SVR12s great months prior, but last month it started cutting out. Switched back to the SVRs, found out it wasn’t the speakers and noticed the ground terminal on the amp had cooked itself. Upon inspection I chalked it up to the reducer I was using, it had flat spots on top and bottom, causing an air gap on the bottom in the distro and had been arcing. So RIP RP. 

Last week I purchased an SAEv3 1500. I got rid of the reducers and got some ferrules. Hooked it up with the SVRs since I never swapped the SAs back in, set the gain at a -6db overlap knowing this amp was a little more meaty. Initially things seemed great, little more taxing on my electrical, saw more 12.8-12.6 dips than what was 13.4 at the lowest with RP, as expected. Things sounded great though and much deeper I was impressed. Today, I got in and cranked her for 2 minutes and it randomly went into protect and my car filled with smoke. Never having this I pulled over immediately and suspected fire, no fire luckily but the amp was cooked. It’s power LED was on, but the bass knobs light wouldn’t show. Voltage didn’t dip below 12.6, it just stopped and smoked was in the cabin. I haven’t used it. I pulled my fuse and continued on about my day. Tested my ground, it’s solid on the meter. 

Can a ground read .2 on a MM and not be good enough? Bad amp? Thermal protection failure? I’m clueless. 

Did you use the same negative/ground locations as the first amp you had issues with?

And sadly, that can happen. Amps can go pop for zero reason. Was the 1500 used? or ? Also, where was the subs wired up nominally ?? Man, ive been asking this A TON lately on here lol... Seems people that ask questions, never say. And its a very large deal. 

6 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

Did you use the same negative/ground locations as the first amp you had issues with?

And sadly, that can happen. Amps can go pop for zero reason. Was the 1500 used? or ? Also, where was the subs wired up nominally ?? Man, ive been asking this A TON lately on here lol... Seems people that ask questions, never say. And its a very large deal. 

Yes same location. It’s a good ground. It was a brand new amp. Not sure what you mean by “wired up nominally?” Never heard that terminology before. All my subs are D4s wired to 2, paired to 1.

13 hours ago, ohruma said:

Yes same location. It’s a good ground. It was a brand new amp. Not sure what you mean by “wired up nominally?” Never heard that terminology before. All my subs are D4s wired to 2, paired to 1.

Bummer. Your nominal load, would be your impedance, with zero load, or static. Reactive, would be with a load applied. Some call that rise in impedance, box rise (which i hate) or impedance rise, would be "reactive".  Make sense?

And bummer about your luck. Hope your road gets clearer from here. 

Archived