Sundown Audio

Looking for an efficient 1,200 to 1,400 rms amp @ 1 ohm

Marito

Im running a VW Golf R 2018 with a oem 150 amp alternator, 1/0 ofc wire front to back and will do the big 3 upgrade also up front, don't want to upgrade the oem alt.

Looking for a high efficiency amp around 1200 to 1400 rms and up to $400 in budget.

I have a couple of amps in mind, the new kicker46cxa1200.1t around $320 and does around 1250 to 1300 rms between 1ohm to 2 ohms, the other amp Im looking at is the Rockford prime R2.1200 around $400 and does about 1450 rms at 1ohm

which of this amps would you recommend and is there any other amp suggested in the $400 budget?

Out of those 2 amps, I think i would go with the Kicker. 

I watched a YouTube video a while ago where a dude went to kicker HQ. They put one of the CXA amps on the dyno and tortured it with dropping the voltage way down. If I remember correctly, they dropped it down to something like 10v and it still did just about its rated power, though they obviously don't recommend running it constantly that low. 

However they designed the board, it's built to do it's rated power even at lower voltages. Pretty interesting video of you can find it. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Out of those 2 amps, I think i would go with the Kicker. 

I watched a YouTube video a while ago where a dude went to kicker HQ. They put one of the CXA amps on the dyno and tortured it with dropping the voltage way down. If I remember correctly, they dropped it down to something like 10v and it still did just about its rated power, though they obviously don't recommend running it constantly that low. 

However they designed the board, it's built to do it's rated power even at lower voltages. Pretty interesting video of you can find it. 

Thanks for the info on that youtube video, will look for it...

Kicker also offers a 1800 rms amp on that same series of amps, just not sure if it would be too much for my 150 amp alternator

2 hours ago, Marito said:

Thanks for the info on that youtube video, will look for it...

Kicker also offers a 1800 rms amp on that same series of amps, just not sure if it would be too much for my 150 amp alternator

Yeah, that much power, you're starting to push it a little bit. Though, a 150 amp stock alt is pretty decent. If it starts to struggle, you could always add another battery. That should be able to power that 1800 no problem

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived