Sonic Electronix

Looking for a mentor to help me tune my boat system

My current system is as follows:  My intent here is to learn how to "tune" using the SMD DD-1 or SMD DD1+

Head Unit:  Fusion MS-UD750 set to 3 zones.

AMP1:  Wetsounds HT4 powering 4 Wetsounds 650

AMP2: Wetsounds HT4 powering 2 Wetsounds XS-10FA-S4

AMP3: Wetsounds HD2 powering 4 Wetsounds Rev12's.  (bridged in the tower)

Power: 4 OPtima Blue Top D31M

Wire:  Power - Kolossus Fleks 1/0, to amps 8awg, to speakers 12awg

So, i'm looking at purchasing the DD1 or DD1 and using to learn tuning systems.  I'm a newbie so ideally, looking for someone to help me tune my own system and help perhaps explain things as we go.  All help is appreciated.

Questions: 

DD-1 or DD-1+?

I've watched several youTube videos however, perhaps some of you know the best how to's out there, that not only explain using the tools, but terms in general etc.

Thank you in advance!!

52 minutes ago, askinsfan73 said:

My current system is as follows:  My intent here is to learn how to "tune" using the SMD DD-1 or SMD DD1+

Head Unit:  Fusion MS-UD750 set to 3 zones.

AMP1:  Wetsounds HT4 powering 4 Wetsounds 650

AMP2: Wetsounds HT4 powering 2 Wetsounds XS-10FA-S4

AMP3: Wetsounds HD2 powering 4 Wetsounds Rev12's.  (bridged in the tower)

Power: 4 OPtima Blue Top D31M

Wire:  Power - Kolossus Fleks 1/0, to amps 8awg, to speakers 12awg

So, i'm looking at purchasing the DD1 or DD1 and using to learn tuning systems.  I'm a newbie so ideally, looking for someone to help me tune my own system and help perhaps explain things as we go.  All help is appreciated.

Questions: 

DD-1 or DD-1+?

I've watched several youTube videos however, perhaps some of you know the best how to's out there, that not only explain using the tools, but terms in general etc.

Thank you in advance!!

With the DD-1 or DD-1+, it really is that simple. Setting the gain for a subwoofer amp, you're going to use a 40 hz test tone. Setting for mids and highs, you'll use a 1000 hz test tone. 

Take the leads from the DD-1 and place them in the speaker outputs of the amplifier. The wires for the speakers should be removed. Set the LPF on the amplifier to the highest hz value it has (either all the way left or all the way right) and then do the opposite for the HPF or subsonic filter. 

You'll start with the head unit using a 0 db test tone. Turn up the volume until the red light comes on, then go backwards until it turns off. That is your max, distortion free output of the head unit. 

Then you do the same with the gain on the amplifier. With the volume of the head unit set to the max, distortion free value, you'll slowly turn up the gain until the red light turns on. Then back it off until it turns off. 

Now, when setting the gains at the amplifier, you have a choice to make on what overlap to use, if any. In a typical system, people tend to do a -10 db overlap for the sub, and -5 db for the mids and highs. This is completely up to your preferences. 

After you're done with the gains, that's when you'll set the crossover points to where you'd like them to be set. 

This is the video I've used to kind of walk you through setting everything

It really is that easy. Love the tool! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

The DD-1 just uses a 40 hz tone for the sub stage, and a 1000 hz tone for both mids and highs. It's really just, in very basic terms, the "middle ground" of frequencies handles by the amplifiers. Those are the 2 frequencies that the DD-1 will recognize

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Archived