Second Skin Audio

Kicker Comp Q vs Alpine Type R 12 (Suggestions)

type94

I'm trying to decide between these two subwoofers or something better. Seeking Loudness and Sound quality. I had a Type R 12 that smoked on me after two years (Q bomb ported 38hz 1.86cm3 box from Amazon). This will be going in a 2014 BMW 535i, trunk seats do go down. Box will be custom made to fit and I want to go ported. I use to have Kicker L7s back in the day and they took too much space that the box ruined my shocks. This car is much nicer but I still want deep thumping bass.
Forgot to mention, the amp is the Hertz HCP 1DK 600rms@4 ohm or 1100RMS@2ohmI want to run it on 4ohm but want to get the most out of it, it the amp is trash I can try to get Rockford or JL amp 

(Stock system is Harman Kardon)

Any advice will be much appreciated.

I have heard nothing but good things coming from Kicker Comp Q. Look up MBE enclosures on Youtube. He is a very knowledgeable individual and has nothing but good things to say about these subwoofers. That being said I am under the impression they will require a sizable box to be happy and perform in their maximum efficiency range. 

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

I just cant go larger than 2cubic for the ported box, trunk is tight and don't wanna add too much weight. I do watch his channel and its funny that he made a video on this subwoofer today. Now I'm leaning towards RF T1, is that any good comparatively? 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, SPL.Pantie.Soak said:

I have heard nothing but good things coming from Kicker Comp Q. Look up MBE enclosures on Youtube. He is a very knowledgeable individual and has nothing but good things to say about these subwoofers. That being said I am under the impression they will require a sizable box to be happy and perform in their maximum efficiency range. 

I just cant go larger than 2cubic for the ported box, trunk is tight and don't wanna add too much weight. I do watch his channel and its funny that he made a video on this subwoofer today. Now I'm leaning towards RF T1, is that any good comparatively?  I have owned L7s back in 2009 and didnt like them even though they had a 32hz custom built ported 4cubic box.. I just want the deep bass and hum that you get even on low volumes. 

Specifically for the lows and for loud sound quality applications (SQL) in your power range and budget I would recommend the SSA Icon 12" (1250W RMS), will work on 2 cubic feet net. Sure enough not the only one but this will hit the deep bass better.

Mainstream subs are usually overpriced and performance in nothing special, to me the only commercial brand that deserves some respect is JL Audio but it is extremely expensive the W6 and W7 lines are the ones to look for.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2022 at 9:55 PM, Joe X said:

Specifically for the lows and for loud sound quality applications (SQL) in your power range and budget I would recommend the SSA Icon 12" (1250W RMS), will work on 2 cubic feet net. Sure enough not the only one but this will hit the deep bass better.

Mainstream subs are usually overpriced and performance in nothing special, to me the only commercial brand that deserves some respect is JL Audio but it is extremely expensive the W6 and W7 lines are the ones to look for.

What do you think of Image Dynamics IDMAX 12? People say the tonal quality of their subs on another level and almost on par or even better than JL?

The SSA are made specifically to hit low and handle more than rated power if you are looking for that but Image Dynamics are excellent sound quality drivers, very comparable to JL Audio but priced lower, their other drivers like speakers and component sets are excellent sounding too and reasonably priced. IDMax are designed to work well in small sealed boxes but can work in ported as well, the only thing with them is that don't take excess power well so you need to be careful with that.

Archived