Second Skin Audio

Box Design....i Want Your Opinion!

Hello SMD people...

I own a Buick LeSabre and the back seats don't lay down so I've been speaking with a guy about how I can get more sound. I am currently running 2 15's in a sealed box. They are being powered by a Sundown 1500D @ 1 ohm. The guy I've spoke to has been in the car audio world for many years and he has come up with a box design that he said I can use my existing subs with. I told him I was interested in getting bass more than what I had with a sealed box but not lose a ton of sound quality. He said with this design, it will basically take all the bass out of my trunk and put it all into my cabin. It will entail cutting out a section of my rear deck but I'm okay with that. So....If you'd had experience with this type of box, let me know how it worked out. I realize that I can also just get a ported box which will also increase the bass as well but thought this design was neat since it would eliminate all of my trunk rattle.

Here's what I currently have:

BuickTrunk001.jpg

Here's the design.. Its 7 cubes net and a 3.3 cube down chamber with a 8 x 19" rear deck opening. Tuned to 35. Here are three pictures:

larrysboxtr0.jpg

2nd picture:

larrysbox3ui7.jpg

3rd picture:

larrysbox2kh1.png

Edited by Oldbasshead

2000 Buick Park Avenue

Kenwood HU

Eclipse Components

4 Sundown SA 10's

Sundown 3500

Sundown 100.4

Mechman Alternator

i dont get it :huh: does it have 2 ports?

From the way he explained it, the top port is just to vent it into the car. The other port is not actually open to the trunk and it takes the pressure from the downside of the subs and redirects it to the top 1/2 of the box (I think?). The pictures don't make that very clear.

Edited by Oldbasshead

2000 Buick Park Avenue

Kenwood HU

Eclipse Components

4 Sundown SA 10's

Sundown 3500

Sundown 100.4

Mechman Alternator

6th order series tuned....it should work alright...depending on how large the top chamber is

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]

6th order series tuned....it should work alright...depending on how large the top chamber is

He said it will be 7 cubes net and have an 8 X 19 rear deck opening and be tuned to 35....How well do you think it will perform in comparison to a standard ported box?

Edited by Oldbasshead

2000 Buick Park Avenue

Kenwood HU

Eclipse Components

4 Sundown SA 10's

Sundown 3500

Sundown 100.4

Mechman Alternator

If he said that is just a vent for the air then I wouldn't trust that design unless double checking from an experienced designer. That is a 6th order and it is complicated to get them right.

According to this guy he's been building and designing boxes for over 15 years....I've seen some of his work and he definitely seems to know what he's doing. I viewed your profile and saw where you're running 2 15's in a trunk car. Do you have any pictures of your box? I'd like to see what you ended up doing..

2000 Buick Park Avenue

Kenwood HU

Eclipse Components

4 Sundown SA 10's

Sundown 3500

Sundown 100.4

Mechman Alternator