Second Skin Audio

DC Audio Level 3 12" box design

Ive got a 2009 gmc sierra 1500 crew cab with a 2.5" seat lift. Im planning on running the DC audio level 3 12s and have tried to model boxes for  a ported design but cant seem to wrap my head around box design. has anyone done anything similar with these subs or willing to help? If so, I can put dimensions of space available under the seat

On 4/29/2023 at 10:03 PM, Joe X said:

ePost your dimensions but 3 12s under seat is something I have yet to see done, not even sealed, 3 12s from DC Audio need like 5 cubic feet plus all displacements if you go ported. Usually you see those over the seats or instead of the seats.

I was looking to put 2 twelves under the seat. Their sub model is called the level 3 12". Sorry bout the confusion. Heres the dimensions for under the seat as of now, the hump referring to the transmission hump in the center of the cab thats slightly elevated. I also did the math and figured that I have about 1.25 Cubic Feet of airspace on one side of the rear seat including the wood thickness of 3/4" MDF. The airspace dimension was also not utilizing the space above the hump.. In the end, I have enough room for the subs, just maybe not in a ported box with the proper sized port, which is what im trying to figure out,

IMG_0262.jpg

Ok so I did calculations myself:

you have 1.33 cubic feet per side

and 0.6 cubic feet in the middle.

So 3.6 net total with 0.75 wood.

So for those subs you need 1.25 net per sub and 0.16 cubic feet of driver displacement each so total so 2.82 cubic feet total.

So 3.6 - 2.82 = 0.78   cubic feet for the port.

Since those subs need 37.2 square inches of port area the length needed to fill 0.78 cubic feet is 22 inches and the tuning would be 38.5 Hz  no port walls displacement included here.

Closest would be two 5" round ports 22 in length if you can actually fit that inside the box.

Conclusion: if you could ever be able to layout that and make it work you would still have to deal with pretty high tuning. So I wouldn't recommend trying to build this box. maybe two 10s would let you tune lower.

Edited by Joe X