Second Skin Audio

Bespoke Paraflex Subwoofer Box 135.4 dB on Glass and 136.1 dB in Kick on Walmart Razor 2500's and GW-124

Subwoofer: Power Acoustik GW-124

Amps: two of the Power Acoustik Razor 2500's from Walmart, one on each coil.

Enclosure: Custom Paraflex design

Glass score: 135.4 dB

Kick score: 136.1 dB

@35Hz

These are with windows/doors closed. When I opened them I would lose output.

This is at 800W RMS or Less. I have a 50A fuse in my power wire, so probably less.

I have done some more testing and found that output drops significantly at 83Hz, and is basically gone at 90Hz. I think what this means is that my high tuned resonator is tuned to low, and is probably causing me to lose output. It should be tuned at 90+Hz since my low tuned resonator is tuned around 30Hz. Usually these enclosures have a rising response where they are much louder on the high end and the opposite is true here.

I cut part of the high tuned resonator out and things were looking good! Might cut some more of it out later, because extension in the upper register got better. Then I tried some low notes and noticed I lost SPL, but it seems it was my subwoofer blowing up, actually! Oops and also shoot. I let the smoke out of it.

I’m going to be modifying this box some more and revising it now that I know my tunings are wrong in relation to each other. I may just make the high resonator like the other paraflex designs where the subwoofer mounts with the baffle vertically and the basket facing toward the mouth. I did it this way because I thought my low resonator was tuned much lower around 24Hz, so I made the HTR tuning around 80Hz, now they may be cancelling and reducing output, or loading the cone too much. These designs load the cone a ton as it is.

I need a new subwoofer too. It did not like several minutes on end of test tones.

paraflex gt-1 model screen cap.PNG

20230519_194933_HDR compressed.jpg

20230520_200734 compressed.jpg