Second Skin Audio

need help with a wall build

12 hours ago, Joe X said:

A couple of things:

1) to confirm your suspicions on how the subs will react use modeling software to get insight on, A ) if Xmax is passed either below or above tuning on intended power and box specs B ) what's the proper port area. WinISD will suffice for that. Once you confirm your box specs then.......

2) Get yourself a SPL meter before starting your tests, there are many decently priced like the SSA, those are like $300 or so for the basic models I believe.

Wish I had more time these days like you to play with car audio gear. have fun.

ive been modeing with winisd that how i came up with 2.5-2.7 per driver , i think what im going to do is just start walling off the car and then see how much space i end up with , instead of trying to design an enclosure that fits back there then having to deal with sealing it off . this way i get a much closer fit to the car and its much easier to seal off . if it ends up way to big be easy enough to take up space inside of it to get me were i need to be .sealing to the b pillars is going to be the tricky part i need the front of the baffle to be atleast 4 inches behind the b pillars. im a tall fucker and its a small car lol . but i do have plenty of fiberglass experiance so im sure i can  come up with a way to seal it off to the b p[illars even set that far back without to much issue 

ok so 

16cft , 3.2 cft per driver 

port at 42hz plays down to 34hz at 10k and 38hz at 15 k 

port at 32hz plays down to 28hz at 10k and 29hz at 15k 

14.5cft enclosure for 5 12's puts me at 2.8 cft per driver 

with port tuned at 42hz the excursion is at its limits at 36hz @ 10000 watts @ 15k anything below 36hz will bottom the sub's

with port tuned at 32 hz the excursion is at its limits at 28hz @10k,, at 15k limits are hit at 29hz and down on 15k 

at 12.5cft 2.5cft per driver 

with port at 42hz limits are exceded at34hz at 10k w , at 15k everything under 38hz will bottom 

with port at 32hz limits are exceded at 28hz @10k , at 15k 29hz and down 

at 11.5 2.2 cft per driver 

port at 42 hz limits hit at 34hz at 10k and 37hz at 15k 

port at 32 hz limits hit at 28hz at 10k and 29hz at 15k 

1-2 db difference in spl with the largest being the loudest and loosing spl as volume decreases the larger the box the less excursion below the tuning freq but more above it but none of them hit limiits above the tuning freq 

113 inches of port isnt enough for any of them larger the box the larger the ports gota be atleast 200 

Edited by mel80

Provided that you paid a lot of attention on correctly entering all your data and make sure the units correspond to what is specified by the manufacturer you do get some insight  of what actually want to build and what don't additionally:

1  your subsonic can both prevent sub damage and hurt your output if not set exactly right WinISD lets you create filters and see the effect on excursion.

2  after building and sealing the wall + deadening your resonant frequency has gone up.

3  with those not to common wall builds on sedans suspension sometimes has been affected, may be a good ideal to get lighter wood or other measures you

might think of.

4  at this point talking to competitors would be most beneficial for you.

15 hours ago, Joe X said:

3  with those not to common wall builds on sedans suspension sometimes has been affected, may be a good ideal to get lighter wood or other measures you

might think of.

lol i keep joking around that i need 2 inch front drop springs to level out the car with just the trunk build , im going to try to get upto home depot this weekend to buy some wood and get started 

• 1 month later...

welp its happening i went out on thursday and got all my wood , im hoping to remove my amp rack out of the back seat area and start building i bought enough wood for tripple front baffle,dbl  rear wall and dbling the top bottom and sides