Second Skin Audio

I wanted to redo my sub box, port area 8" aero port, lacks port area.  I am considering moving up box size for rear of my Sportage 2020 auto.  67 picture below is with smaller 8" Big Ass Port.  The others are estimates of what might fit and hoping for a better sound, not that it is bad.  Curious about slot ports since I have only done one awhile back but never notice that software I used has a actual port length, oops off went back to aeros.  Anyways, good or bad I figure that I would ask, since it is a long ways from the days of '68 GTOs/Chevelles etc. when I first started the car stereo journeys.  I try to do as much as I can since had such bad luck with shops in the past.  Deck side mounted to shifting column and mounted 6.5 to it also with rear fills and one HC Fi 18 on JP23v2 amp which guess is ok.  Just felt another shot at sub box might help improve performance.  If screwed up this, let me know what like me to clarify, mostly wondering if increase in box and port area would be worth it, slotted wood save a few bucks, with shipping and port cost seems to ad up, guess should of use two 6" ports in box.  Tried up ward port and presently side rear corner, just to see difference.  18 little rough for rear port.  Thanks either way.  Self taught so no offense if I screwed up, accept oops.  Be safe.

Screenshot (80).png

Screenshot (69).png

Screenshot (73).png

Screenshot (81).png

Screenshot (82).png

Edited by mdwerner6942
Requires 90-110 port area-6.75-7 net, by Fi

• mdwerner6942 changed the title to Fi HC 18, Box design,
  • 4 weeks later...

Model shows you need 80-90 square inches ON 3k for this sub but no more, if you do 100 square inches should cover you well enough at 8 cubic feet net volume.

If you are not getting the expected performance look at your electrical system and setup your gains correctly, your tone controls and crossover points in your system should be all checked to be good.

Edited by Joe X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 12/2/2023 at 12:23 PM, Joe X said:

Model shows you need 80-90 square inches ON 3k for this sub but no more, if you do 100 square inches should cover you well enough at 8 cubic feet net volume.

If you are not getting the expected performance look at your electrical system and setup your gains correctly, your tone controls and crossover points in your system should be all checked to be good.

Thanks, when did Power say 32 Hz, little different port area options came up.  Box be under 8 over around 7 cu ft, area.

Screenshot (110).png

Edited by mdwerner6942

Port area needs not to be an exact value, just needs to be large enough for air not to rush in and out too fast which hurts your output and produces noises. Generally a 16 times net volume of the box in square feet should  be a safe bet but evaluating the physics of the situation (driver,  box, power) you can figure a much more adequate number as I did in my last post, if you give some more port area than needed your box becomes larger and heavier than needed to virtually no gain in performance. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that the resulting port is not too long like more than 40 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot(116).thumb.png.f14a7918c573219eec8787920bb65e3e.pngScreenshot(115).thumb.png.d3e4566be76e8f3321a1937b97bb31c1.pngI shorted box some still over 7 cu ft net, port area 13-14 area.  I tried extra box port, movement on sub hassle fit did not work for me.  See mechanically to push sub more. 

Edited by mdwerner6942