Second Skin Audio

Wanna try a 4th order

So ive built a few hundred enclosures in the last 27 years of installing, never have i attempted a 4th order. Just casually reading , my newest sub ( avatar stu 12) seems to be a good canadite for this. Havent looked yet but thinj the qts of my xr 12 is .4 which if i understand right may be a good one to. try also. Ive read 2:1 ratio anf the hell woth ratio also. I wouldnt mind trying something musical for my XR i could put in my wifes yukon tonreplace the old 3xl in a belva prefab (tuned to like mid 40s), i can hardly tell qhen she turns the bass knob up! She needs more ummph and i wamma try building something different at the same time. Always been a solid slot port guy just nc they do thier job and have thier own structural support built in. 

Questions are 

1 will the XR d2 be a good sub to start with

2 would the STU 12 d1 be better

3 what is ideal port area and sealed to ported ratio 

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

On 11/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, ehall8702 said:

So ive built a few hundred enclosures in the last 27 years of installing, never have i attempted a 4th order. Just casually reading , my newest sub ( avatar stu 12) seems to be a good canadite for this. Havent looked yet but thinj the qts of my xr 12 is .4 which if i understand right may be a good one to. try also. Ive read 2:1 ratio anf the hell woth ratio also. I wouldnt mind trying something musical for my XR i could put in my wifes yukon tonreplace the old 3xl in a belva prefab (tuned to like mid 40s), i can hardly tell qhen she turns the bass knob up! She needs more ummph and i wamma try building something different at the same time. Always been a solid slot port guy just nc they do thier job and have thier own structural support built in. 

Questions are 

1 will the XR d2 be a good sub to start with

2 would the STU 12 d1 be better

3 what is ideal port area and sealed to ported ratio 

I haven't looked into their sub parameters to see if they are good. I can only suggest to get someone to design an enclosure for you (or go with a program that can give you data back on how the box will theoretically perform). I have a tough time when people go with general port areas and ratios. Just because it plays doesn't mean it's right or optimal.

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1