Sonic Electronix

When designing a bass system are the interior dimensions of the vehicle taken into consideration and would it be considered as order of enclosure? Honda Civic vs Econoline van. Windows up or down partially or fully affecting the sound quality and SPL.

Yes inside a small chamber like a car cabin you get a significant boost in low frequencies compared to playing outdoors , this is known as the cabin transfer function or more commonly as cabin gain, it is roughly modeled as a 12dB/octave rise downwards in frequency starting at a frequency that depends on the size of the cabin mainly, for an average sedan that frequency is about 50Hz. That is a very rough description, if you need to know exactly how your transfer function really is you need to do some measuring tests for the vehicle in question as well as the listening position.

How would that be calculated into sub box design? Say if you are using Bass box, how does cabin gain change the actual enclosure design? Or is it more about the frequency you tune the box to? Or is that something you control with a processor?

After using modeling software for a while I can tell you that as long as the sub you use is made for car audio and is from a reputable manufacturer, following the recommended enclosure suggestions that the manufacturer provides will get you good results used in a car. The manufacturer has already figured what needs to be done and has tested in a number of vehicles their product to produce satisfactory results. That be a sub for sound quality or for high output.

That said you are looking for general information? or you have a specific problem that you are trying to solve, if so you might want to tell us about it as you can get the answers you need faster.

Just general information right now. I built car audio systems in the 90's but haven't built any since then. Family and life took over. Back then I asked the same question to audio shops and installers and could never really get an answer. I knew it would have some effect but wasn't really sure how or why. Always on the search for knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:41 AM, kelly said:

Just general information right now. I built car audio systems in the 90's but haven't built any since then. Family and life took over. Back then I asked the same question to audio shops and installers and could never really get an answer. I knew it would have some effect but wasn't really sure how or why. Always on the search for knowledge.

If you are familiar enough with audio technology and can understand amplitude vs frequency/phase plots (bode diagrams) read the Loudspeaker design cookbook 7th edition by Vance Dickason chapter eleven to understand the acoustics inside vehicles, a bit dated book maybe but enough infos to get your questions answered.

• 4 weeks later...