Sonic Electronix

Too much amp for subs? Or bad setup all around?

Noob to bigger car audio and forums in general. But figured I’d ask more knowledgeable people than me about things I can’t figure out with simple online searching. I am having clipping issues and major voltage drop on big bass hits. Which I want nice big bass out of system. Not sure if I’m overpowering my subs which causes clipping then voltage drop? Hopefully someone out here what’s to discuss what’s going on and where I can start next to fix the problem. Thanks in advance!!

Voltage drops mean your electrical system can't handle the power the amps want, electrical upgrades (agm battery or batteries, alternator, big 3, power wiring) are available to fix those voltage drops and when that is fixed you need to setup your gains so that no clipping occurs. your electrical system upgrades need to be calculated to match the needs of your system but not significantly exceed what is needed as you may end up overspending badly.

My apologies,I should have been more specific with what I have and with what exactly is happening. 320 amp alt,yellow top batt,big 4 all 0ga ofc. Main power wire runs back to block that splits to 2 5farad caps. Ea cap is individually grounded,then the caps are run to 2 marts digital 2000wrms amps. The ea amp powers its own 12” alpine type s. Subs are wired to 1ohm. When getting on it pretty good,like one click on volume down from how I set my gains I get minimal voltage drop. From 14.7ish will drop to like 14 on hits. Then once go Alil more on volume and it clips. My amps have clipping lights,huge voltage drop. Like down to 11-12

If you have D2 subs wired down to 1 ohm and the amps are the MXD-2000-2 version instead of the MXD-2000-1  then that's your problem. Full bridge amps can't be run below their minimum stable impedance.

In any case that setup of yours certainly is odd, high end electrical + walmart amps + low power subs, you sure don't mind to post pics of that system right? Would be awesome to see.

Edited by Joe X

They are the mxd-1 amps so they are capable of 1 ohm. And I have 2003 Silverado ext cab,and want to keep the rear seat still stock and usable. So the under seat boxes are quite limited with mounting depth. It’s my daily and not trying to go competition by any means. I just like really loud good sounding music lol. Slowly building up as I go but I’m not to knowledgeable on really good stuff. 

Due to the considerable voltage drop  it looks like your electrical has a problem, ideally you should run a 1/0 line to each amp and have two 1/0 lines to ground and you should make sure your grounding location has good contact, with some vehicles is better to run ground lines directly to the battery. So have that electrical system throughly checked, battery, alt , big 3 and power lines.

Once that is done set your gains with a scope or a DD-1 both head unit and amps to makes sure there is no distortion in the signal path.

See how that goes.

Under hood I have 1/0 ofc grounded to stud welded directly to frame. In rear I have 1/0 ofc to stud welded to frame then goes to bolt coming through floor board. Then both caps have 4ga ofc to that ground bolt. And amps have 4ga ofc to distribution block and grounded to that bolt. And with Alil change to my box I was thinking about getting 2 pioneer ts-3020pro 12s

Someone needs to test if the alternator is charging properly, where the voltage drops in your lines to determine what is at fault, you need to have that done by someone or do it yourself, hopefully you will find what is wrong.

You  can play a 5 or so second 40Hz tone and up the volume level until the issue presents itself.

Use a multimeter to measure (while the tone is playing) voltage between the negative terminal of the battery to the stud to see how good is your chassis ground for example. It should measure close to zero volts

Then  to the ground terminals of your amps and  then  to the positive terminals of your amps, you can do the same to any point of interest including the drop at the battery terminals themselves.

If when the tone is playing the voltage drops significantly at your battery terminals then your electrical is not working right.

If your wiring is right you should see most of the battery voltage drop at the amps terminals and very little at any other point, if that is the case your wiring is good.

Hopefully you get the idea.

Edited by Joe X