Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hello all, this is my first post so I hope it's in the right section! I made sure to fill out my signature with system specs, so take a peak there for some insight if needed. I'm far from an expert in car audio, but I'm no beginner either. I also have about 20 years of professional automotive experience and work with some serious auto electrical gurus. Unfortunately none of them are into car audio.

 

That being said, I am stumped. I set my gains the way the instructions told me to, and followed the videos. I used the middle test track for a "compromise" between loud and safe. I also checked the head unit for clipping, found none, backed off from 35 to 32 anyway to play it safe (I treat 30 as the max.) My setup was doing fine for about a year and a half, but I noticed with a couple of songs (always stream w/ spotify on android auto) I would get some clipping, so I went in to retune with the DD-1 and make sure things were still good. I went to the "safe" test track this time...or so I thought. The only change I made is I tuned it with my bass knob turned all the way up . I didn't know Alpine RUX-KNOB is an attenuation knob and does not affect the bass boost setting at all. So if anything the gains should be much lower than before and safe from clipping, right? WRONG. Somehow things got worse. I tried again, and would still get clipping and the amp would cut out, then cut back on. I ended up just turning everything way down and doing it by ear. If I listen to something bass heavy, I just turn the knob down. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? I'm stumped. I should also note it is very hard to see the dials on the amp, so I just have to base it on the angle of the screwdriver to know where the dial is. To have such a big trunk Crown Vic's really don't have much room for stereo without making custom panels (which I am no good at!)

 

Sorry for the long post, and please go easy on me....I haven't been of forums in a VERY long time!

Edited by nealuss

03 Crown Victoria LX - 200a P71 alternator, odyssey battery, 2 farad capacitor. System is all Alpine -- 2 Halo 10" R-series DVC (pre-built, pre-wired, 1-ohm wired to mono) on an R2-A150M 1500w amp, R2-S65C components in doors, R-S68 coaxials in rear deck, ILX-W650 head unit w/ KTA-450 4 channel. 

Posted

Chances are is your voltage is dropping too low.

~150a on the sub amp, 4ga to a 2 farad cap, that's not enough. The 4ga should be swapped for 1/0, and replace the cap with a battery. Even a small XS D925 would help dampen the electrical load.

Has the big3 been done to support the 200a alternator?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 110k miles | Stock

 

1996 GMC Yukon SLT 4dr 4wd | 260k miles | JVC Head-unit

Posted

That's where my thought process was headed. I wondered if 4ga wasn't enough. I have done the big 3. It's actually the Ford/Mitsubishi P71 alternator. I had to upgrade the wiring when I installed it.

03 Crown Victoria LX - 200a P71 alternator, odyssey battery, 2 farad capacitor. System is all Alpine -- 2 Halo 10" R-series DVC (pre-built, pre-wired, 1-ohm wired to mono) on an R2-A150M 1500w amp, R2-S65C components in doors, R-S68 coaxials in rear deck, ILX-W650 head unit w/ KTA-450 4 channel. 

Posted
On 8/30/2025 at 5:14 PM, nealuss said:

Hello all, this is my first post so I hope it's in the right section! I made sure to fill out my signature with system specs, so take a peak there for some insight if needed. I'm far from an expert in car audio, but I'm no beginner either. I also have about 20 years of professional automotive experience and work with some serious auto electrical gurus. Unfortunately none of them are into car audio.

 

That being said, I am stumped. I set my gains the way the instructions told me to, and followed the videos. I used the middle test track for a "compromise" between loud and safe. I also checked the head unit for clipping, found none, backed off from 35 to 32 anyway to play it safe (I treat 30 as the max.) My setup was doing fine for about a year and a half, but I noticed with a couple of songs (always stream w/ spotify on android auto) I would get some clipping, so I went in to retune with the DD-1 and make sure things were still good. I went to the "safe" test track this time...or so I thought. The only change I made is I tuned it with my bass knob turned all the way up . I didn't know Alpine RUX-KNOB is an attenuation knob and does not affect the bass boost setting at all. So if anything the gains should be much lower than before and safe from clipping, right? WRONG. Somehow things got worse. I tried again, and would still get clipping and the amp would cut out, then cut back on. I ended up just turning everything way down and doing it by ear. If I listen to something bass heavy, I just turn the knob down. Can anyone tell me what might be going on? I'm stumped. I should also note it is very hard to see the dials on the amp, so I just have to base it on the angle of the screwdriver to know where the dial is. To have such a big trunk Crown Vic's really don't have much room for stereo without making custom panels (which I am no good at!)

 

Sorry for the long post, and please go easy on me....I haven't been of forums in a VERY long time!

So your clean at max HU volume, treat that volume 35 as your max gain setting point .  What’s the system ?

Posted

I thought I was playing it safe by giving a little buffer on the max volume. My signature has all of the system specs👍

03 Crown Victoria LX - 200a P71 alternator, odyssey battery, 2 farad capacitor. System is all Alpine -- 2 Halo 10" R-series DVC (pre-built, pre-wired, 1-ohm wired to mono) on an R2-A150M 1500w amp, R2-S65C components in doors, R-S68 coaxials in rear deck, ILX-W650 head unit w/ KTA-450 4 channel. 

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Update for anyone who finds this thread later.... problem solved! I started from scratch and ran 1/0 to a splitter, with 1/0 to a capacitor and 4awg to the amp (only accepts 4awg input and reducers are too big) and the system is doing amazing now. I am thinking about doing a frame ground to remedy some headlight dimming, but that's minimal so I'm not in a hurry for that. 

03 Crown Victoria LX - 200a P71 alternator, odyssey battery, 2 farad capacitor. System is all Alpine -- 2 Halo 10" R-series DVC (pre-built, pre-wired, 1-ohm wired to mono) on an R2-A150M 1500w amp, R2-S65C components in doors, R-S68 coaxials in rear deck, ILX-W650 head unit w/ KTA-450 4 channel. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7835 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...