ok after reading the posts kev wrote it got me thinking a lil bit.... but i didnt want to thread jack and it was getting hard to understand where polish was comming from with his posts. Anyway ive got a 5spd manual tran and if i were to ever add significant power to my ride im not sure what exactly i would need to "upgrade" or if i could at all. Also when reading up on the ME412 concept car i was amazed by that tranny and im wondering if something like that (double clutch auto) would be a good idea (although im not sure on how practical it would be interms of price)

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Awesome question bro.  First let me start off with Polish's comments. Here's the problem with auto makers and american drivers.

Back in the day, auto trannies used to shift pretty firm (helping them put the power to the ground, as the 50's, 60's and 70's were all about speed and power, hense the hotrods).  Once we started hitting the 80's and having fuel shortages, people went away from wanting power and started moving over to more fuel ecomonical cars, making luxury cars more popular.  One of the marketing scams that the luxury market offered was smooth auto tranny shifting.  The issue with an auto tranny is that you can't have the best of both worlds.  You either have firm, efficient shifting, or you have soft, slipping shifts.  So now cars all  have a smoother auto shifting, because the general public wants it.  Here's the problem in technical terms now.  The only way to get a smooth shift on an auto tranny is to slip the clutch on the shift.  So if you are already slipping your clutch with no power mods, imagine how easy it is to slip the clutch when adding more power.  Due to this, anytime you start adding power, you really need to address having the tranny looked at by someone qualified to do so, whether its making sure its in adjustment, tightening the adjustment, adding new parts, or whatever.  Its just that in every single vehicle I've worked on, the tranny is always the weak link.

Ok, now to address the double clutch auto tranny.  Actually that has been in the diesel industry for a couple of of years now, but due to the torque of diesels, I can name a couple of diesel trans shops that not only put in a double clutch pack, but also increase the size of the pack, say from a 3 pack to a 6 pack.  So yes, that does help keep power to the ground, but the issue still stands that you really have to have the tranny adjusted for the power that you are putting to the ground.  So if your putting out 300, the pressures of the clutch should be adjusted for say 325-350 hp.  That way the tranny is most efficient in your power range.

Whoo...I feel like I'm just babbling...sorry if I am.

Last Question..manual tranny  :D  What do you have to do to make a manual tranny handle the power?   Just add a new clutch in which can hold the power  =V^  This is the sole reason why I went to a manual.  When I'm adding power to my new truck now, I love the fact that I will not longer be spending hours of my time in the trans shop having adjustments made.  All of that is behind me.  Now, I just go had a better clutch and I'm done.

Does this make sense?  I can get as in depth as you wish.

Kev 

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

lol shake everything loose?

hmmm thats interesting about the double clutch thing... never thought about slipping and all that

so i guess i should stay manual (i like it better but the shift times on the double clutches are :o)

on your tranny is it stock? I know about getting preformance clutches and such but im concerned if the stock tranny on my cobalt is up to par even with a hi preform clutch

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer