Second Skin Audio

Under powering an 18" Solo X, bad?

Ernesto

I was wondering would an 18" Solo X be fine with only 1,700 rms? Reason being because I am looking at getting an 18" Solo X DVC 1 and running two D5000s off each coil.

Before I order the second one I will order a bigger alt and some batteries. I was wondering if it would be ok to run the Solo X off one D5000 @ 2ohms, 1,700rms, for a few weeks?

People kill subwoofers while underpowering them because they crank it up and clip the amp, which is quick death to any subwoofer.  As long as you keep the gains adjusted properly on the amp, instead of turning it up to try to get every little bit of power out, you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

People kill subwoofers while underpowering them because they crank it up and clip the amp, which is quick death to any subwoofer.  As long as you keep the gains adjusted properly on the amp, instead of turning it up to try to get every little bit of power out, you should be fine.

Wrong...Ive said it before...a woofer cannot die from clipping ALONE...it must reach its thermal limits before clipping takes its affect. Example. If a woofer can handle 500 watts thermally and your clipping a 250 watt amp, chances are the clipped signal will be sending double its rated power. It MAY damage the woofer...If your powering something with very little power, clipping alone will not kill it...

Archived