the everchanging avalon build, part 4?

stupid double post

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

i swear to god my camera eats pictures, i had taken like 30 and got like 16 out of it, and its not like "oh did i get it from that angle too?"

its pictures of like how i braced my box, me cutting the deck out, cool shit like that

well anyway, heres what i have...figued i'd start with some pics of my nice new tint=) with dirty salt covered glass

Posted Image

Posted Image

18% bronze, looks mean in person, i may "ice" it and throw a layer of 35 on it to make it shinier, ive seen some cars with plats/35 under and it looks ill, but is dark as hell

what was there: (my girl said it looks like a happy old man with a combover and a funny hat...i guess i see it, screws are eyes, but wtvr)

Posted Image

and an intact deck (well, mostly, just an 8in port in it)

Posted Image

upside of a luxury car, hella room to work with:

Posted Image

started off at like 10am getting wood and cutting it, then i picked up my girl and she watched on disapprovingly while i did this to my car with a die grinder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i kinda just guessed where i was going honestly, i didnt measure or mark anything, i just looked where i could get away with it and cut away, on my back, with a die grinder, in 20 degree snow, with my buddies and girlfriend looking on

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Just a little story, this car uses a like torsion bar thingy to keep the trunk lid up, one for each side, and they mount by like the top of the weel hubs and go across the deck to the other side where they attach to a hinge, i took them out to do all this, see pics below for reference

they came out with a little coaxing and elbow grease, but then i realized that my trunk lid is REALLY friggin heavy, between the metal and layers of dynamat, its like 60 or so lbs, so the rest of the build was a bit precarious with a single piece of mdf holding up the trunk while i worked

yea, see those bars going across? thats what holds my trunk up...

Posted Image

so for some building:

port:

Posted Image

i kinda put the port, front, and bottom together, and then realized, shit, this thing is going to be huge, let me see if it fits in the trunk

it didnt obviously

so i took it apart and reassembled it in the trunk. which was uuuh..fun

im sorry there isnt more pics, but this ended up being PITA install that HAD to get done between 6pm and midnight, and you know how you spend 3 hours planning everything out, triple checking, etc, before you work, so i didnt start gluing and screwing till almost 9, and was just really pissed off by 10

the front, bottom, and port in, with the top test fitted before i cut the holes

the sides i obviously couldnt scew from the bottom, or the sides, so i cut those little triangle supports you see, and on a piece of straight mdf, with the side against a speedsquare, i screwed and glued em on, to hold the piece up in the box while i screwed in from the front, amd relied on glue for the bottom

Posted Image

more baffle testing

Posted Image

it was about this point, as i traced out the hole on my baffle, that i realized, shit, theres no way those speakers are getting into those holes, let alone me screwing them in

but, like i planned it out or something, the box is JUST short enough for me to slide it all the way back to put them in from the back, and get the back 4 screws in, and wire everything up via the still missing back , and then slide it in and get the front screws, where the window is like 9 inches higher

its wired to a 2ohm load if anyone was wondering, and i braced the baffle pretty well, 3 1x2's, 1 between each sub running front to back, glued and screwed to the baffle, front, and rear, i dont have any pics, cuz my camera ate them, it looked pretty ill though the way it was done, rock solid

Posted Image

port and how it sits in my car, the notch was cut already for the t-line box, i just reused the same position and size for my 72sqin of port and 4 cube box, lol

Posted Image

the little babies in, it looks mean to see that much woofer in a back deck

so anyway, its REALLY loud, louder than my 12's, and MUCH lower, it comes alive at low 30's, and has no problem playing high 20's, even though the box is tuned to like 43hz if i did my math right. i was confused by that, but whatever, i'll live with it =P

i had my bass on -10 to not kill em the first day, by the first night i was bored and let it go to -4, they started smelling like glue within like 10 seconds, so im just leaving it at -10 for now, its still dumb loud, the amp is just a little too much for them (rated at 275 apiece, amp has no problem feeding each one 375)

im about to go take some extra pics, like how the port looks in the seat, how i rigged up a tail light, etc

heres how the amps are sitting right now, when i get bored at school i'll make a pretty panel and carpt it and hide wires and junk, but by 12pm last night i just didnt care anymore

Posted Image

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

whenever i smell glue i back off, after glue comes coil, and by the time you smell coil you fucked something up

and these things are a bitch and a half to swap out, like its probably an hour and a half job to get one in and out

and before anyone says anything, yes, i will foam the gap, i know im losing dbs and quality through that hole, if i decide im staying with this i'll do it, i was considering 3 10's or 2 15's or 2 12's, but 4 8s is just so much less common, who else has that?

so, i just braved the cold and took some pics, heres the port from the front seat, as you can see, its massive considering theirs some 8's strapped to it, i think it was 10.25x7inches by 21.25 deep, i left the blueprints in the garbage=)

Posted Image

i stuck my arm down the port and snapped some pics, to show you the undersides of the subs and the braces, but my arm is barely long enough to reach through the port, so its kinda crappy

Posted Image

Posted Image

and finally the third brake light, i was told by officer friendly at 7-11 that if he sees me again without it i get a hefty fine, so i rigged something up (it was ducttaped last night, fell, and then was just lighting up my rear seat, lol

Posted Image

i made it in about a minute including installation out of a bent piece of plumbers tape and 5 zipscrews, its in a good spot where it is easily visible and out of the way, and isnt hitting my window when the bass knocks, cuz my car is turning to jello on the low notes more than ever

i also might put the armrest back in, it wont fold up so i left it out, but im not sure how useful that seat is either way, may be better to just hide that ugly bracket underneath, but that requires a boatload of work im not doing anytime soon

Team DC

Third brake lights are a requirement? Huh.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

apparantly...

atleast thats what the officer said

oh, and friggin robocop spotted an extra sticker on my windshield as i did 65 past him today, chases me down, pulls me over, and i was super confused cuz i was cruise controlled at 65 (speed limit) in the right lane, he was 3 lanes over in the median.

He walks up like i was the worst person in the world, looks and my windshield, sees its like a parking permit, goes "you cant have anything besides regi and inspection on the winshield" and gets back in his car

i was like dumbfounded, he like CHASED me down weaving through traffic at like 100mph to inform me i cant have parking permits on that side of my windshield in NY

but yes, AFIK, if the car came with a 3rd brake light its required, im about to research it and see if i can take it off cuz its kinda retarded right now, i cant back up because between the tint and the bright light inside the car, i cant see anything out the back

Team DC

oh man, i just searched through the vehicle and traffic laws of nys

3. if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, at least two lighted lamps on the rear, one on each side, which lamps shall display a red light visible from the rear for a distance of at least one thousand feet; and

Stop Lamps

40. Stop lamps. (a) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured prior to January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least one stop lamp which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied.

(B) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied.

so it looks like i nead ATLEAST 2 red rear driving lights and ATLEAST 2 brake lights, one on each side

so, i guess i can take it out

suppose officer friendly just told me that because he saw it lit up in the rear seat dangling by a cord when i was in the parking lot and figured it's a good idea to make me paranoid

Team DC

Archived